Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New Mauser M18

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Interesting to note regional differences and preferences. Weather in Norway is at least as bad (likely a good bit worse) than here, yet blue is the order of the day there and stainless here. The much discussed half cock and other general mistrust of safety catches here is another good example.

Back to Mausers - I looked at a nice looking M12 in .308 the other day. It was second-hand but unfired and I liked the feel and fit of it. Did some research and was surprised to find it’s a push fit barrel. I know it’s a hunting rifle and wouldn’t get used much, plus .308 barrels last for ever, but the push fit thing put me off. I guess it’s back to looking for a Sako with special timber. I blame Shearer for this latest “need” as he has an immaculate and very beautiful 85 and he let me stroke it.
    Before anyone asks - 85 is a Sako, not a euphemism for something else. We are just good friends.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I don't get the stainless hang up kiwis have. It's not self maintaining or self cleaning. I do nothing different with all my barrels and I've just shoot out my first CrMo Blaser barrel before it had a chance to rust out. Whats even funnier this is the same crowd who will fall over themselves for a 40+ year old wood/blue Sako Vixen. Go figure?
    I guess people can't be bothered with oiling the outside and the bore every fortnight.
    Bill999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I guess people can't be bothered with oiling the outside and the bore every fortnight.
    Either those people use the wrong oil or store them outside leaning against a tree.
    257weatherby and Moa Hunter like this.

Nothing at all against blue (in fact I much prefer it), but most of the places I hunt are rugged and rifles get scratched no matter how careful I am. A scratch or stuff on a stainless barrel looks less bad than on a beautifully blued barrel. I can clean up and bead blast a stainless barrel quickly and easily too. Stainless also doesn’t wear off and is more durable on multi-day fly camping trips in wet conditions, although still needs attention as has been said.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

northdude
    Ive found stainless still goes rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    The much discussed half cock and other general mistrust of safety catches here is another good example.
    i have a brno m98 and a modern zastava m98......
    the missus was looking at getting her FAL a while back and one of the things in the reading material given to her was regrding the different safetys ....
    so i dragged the 2 out of the safe to show her the difference in how they work , safety on the bolt locking the pin vs safety on the trigger locking the trigger.
    so bolt in the old brno pointing down on an empty chamber with safety on dry fire......nothing , works as it should as has done for 60 + years.
    same procedure with zastava (this was only a couple of months old at the time) safety on for dry fire .....click , firing pin actuated, the safety did work when i first bought it but after putting less than a box of ammo thru it the safety adjuster screw had worked loose.
    so now i check it every time it comes out for use ....and no i dont trust it to the extent i trust the safety that locks the firing pin.
    Bill999 and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Either those people use the wrong oil or store them outside leaning against a tree.
    Not everyone has ideal safe atmosphere conditions too

I had a shot with one of these in 223 today. My impression was very favorable. The trigger is excellent and the action runs nicely with a short lift. The stock is very ergonomic. The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the magazine. I had low expectations and was surprised. It show well on paper. I expected a crap budget gun but couldn't fault it.
    northdude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I don't get the stainless hang up kiwis have. It's not self maintaining or self cleaning. I do nothing different with all my barrels and I've just shoot out my first CrMo Blaser barrel before it had a chance to rust out. Whats even funnier this is the same crowd who will fall over themselves for a 40+ year old wood/blue Sako Vixen. Go figure?
    You dont live with in sight of the ocean I imagine? south westerly predominant wind blows salt wind from the west coast and the easterly brings the salt wind from the east
    oh and it usually rains all the time. just not lately........

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    You dont live with in sight of the ocean I imagine? south westerly predominant wind blows salt wind from the west coast and the easterly brings the salt wind from the east
    oh and it usually rains all the time. just not lately........
    Im about 2 good 3 irons and a sand wedge from the beach.
    257weatherby likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

have heard they are absolute tack drivers. Was looking at buying one a couple of months ago. unfortunately couldnt source one in the calibre I wanted.. So ended up with a rem 700

sneakywaza I got
    M18 - don't do it, get an M12. I know where one can be found in .308.
    Mroach likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    M18 - don't do it, get an M12. I know where one can be found in .308.
    Why not? I have only heard pretty good things about the M18 so far.............

apparently there is a 243 down in christchurch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Ive found stainless still goes rusty
    you gotta try tho, and then when you hit it with oil or a stiff rub with your shirt it disappears
    stainless isnt all the same tho some is far better corrosion resistance than others