Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: New savage and new leupold

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    If the Mk3HD is a 34mm tube like the Mark5/6 then I'm not keen anymore.
    It's not but other than being lightweight they are pretty lack luster.
    SFP only, narrow FOV, 6mil per rev turrets.
    Compared to the latest offerings by the likes of Athlon they look like a 15 year old design.
    caberslash likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so whats the advantage over an inch tube???? the end glass is still same size so not going to let in any more light or field of view.....
    More elevation is typically the reason for it, or more room to allow for internals to meet design criteria.
    I'm guessing this particular one is just so for commonality with the rest of the range.
    caberslash likes this.

pity it wasnt thought out better.....1-5x is a bush shooters scope...if tube went up to 30mm and lenses were upped in size accordingly the field of view and more importantly the low light ability would increase no end.... 5x20mm gives exit pupil size of 4mm....7 is ideal 5x30mm would give 6..pretty darm good and 34mm body so even better/bigger...maybe even perfect....... am I correct in seeing a whoping great lever has been stuck out side of zoom dial???? loopies have always been harder than others to turn...issue solved.

pity it wasnt thought out better.....1-5x is a bush shooters scope...if tube went up to 30mm and lenses were upped in size accordingly the field of view and more importantly the low light ability would increase no end.... 5x20mm gives exit pupil size of 4mm....7 is ideal 5x30mm would give 6..pretty darm good and 34mm body so even better/bigger...maybe even perfect....... am I correct in seeing a whoping great lever has been stuck out side of zoom dial???? loopies have always been harder than others to turn...issue solved.
    Throw levers are become quite common with the latest scopes which is nice as are a great idea.

Sorry I was wrong before, it is odd they haven't made it a 24mm obj lens as that is the normal size for a 30mm tube LVPO.
    There could be a mistake in midways specs, or it could be that the VX3hd/Mark3 scopes is mostly just a rebranding/rehashing of the same models they've been selling for the last few decades.

I'm sure they will be good scopes but Leupold really aren't pushing any boundaries as far as technology goes.
    caberslash likes this.

heck man I would be jizzimly happy if they would start remaking M8 3 and 4x with big eye boxs and shipping them over here for reasonable price.....it would make life so much simpler again.
    take the solid reliability of that era and add in the better glass and coatings of today and maybe chuck in a solid clicking top turrent with zero stop for all the twiddlers n fiddlers and all the short suppressed rifles could wear one ,be lighter and less bulky.....
    soory wet dream over,it will never happen....vari powers have become the norm and its where the $$$ are to be made...sad but how it is.
    caberslash likes this.

If you drop down to the spec sheets unless stated in the title 30 mm they're 1 inch 25mm tubes so 20 mm objective is correct. The throw lever comes with most of their higher cost scopes in the box and just attaches with a grub screw... don't use mine myself as find it a pain quite literally as it stabs me when rifle shouldered on sling. The bigger diameter tubes usually offer more dialability , more clicks , than the smaller tubes. And I would imagine its now the same hd glass and coatings used in the vx5 and 6 hd range hence the hd moniker.
    And they offer several of the scope models in either 25 or 30 mm tube also....
    I think , but don't quote me , only the vx6 or higher ranges come in 34mm tube

(We sell leupold and pulsar through my work , no expert though...)
    Last edited by Ftx325; 09-01-2021 at 07:02 PM.
    born to hunt - forced to work

go back and view link...definately 30mm scope tube...and 20mm objective lense.

Apologies Micky... didn't see the 30 mm tube version way down the bottom there , just the first one.
    Does seem a bit odd as everything else appears the same. Just had a quick peek at leupold site and they don't even appear to be listed there yet
    born to hunt - forced to work

Can't say I'm a fan of the bearings locking the bolt in place, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Can't say I'm a fan of the bearings locking the bolt in place, no thanks.
    Heym has used this system for years. Tested it up to 80kpsi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I'd like to see some of their leftie rifles hit our shores.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

heck man I would be jizzimly happy if they would start remaking M8 3 and 4x with big eye boxs and shipping them over here for reasonable price.....it would make life so much simpler again.
    take the solid reliability of that era and add in the better glass and coatings of today and maybe chuck in a solid clicking top turrent with zero stop for all the twiddlers n fiddlers and all the short suppressed rifles could wear one ,be lighter and less bulky.....
    soory wet dream over,it will never happen....vari powers have become the norm and its where the $$$ are to be made...sad but how it is.
    I have seen some fix 6 power leupold with a cds dial installed. I m not sure if it can be done on the 4 power.
    superdiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Interesting concept that you can turn it from a right hander to a wrong hander.
    Us "wrong handers" prefer the term "south paw".
    Resident of "The Great White North" a.k.a. Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    I have seen some fix 6 power leupold with a cds dial installed. I m not sure if it can be done on the 4 power.
    Yeah I had one and was dumb enough to sell it