Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New scope

H.M

New scope

Am looking to upgrade my scope from a vx freedom. budget is around the $1000 mark, pretty keen on the vx3i 4.5-14x40 cds. Iv only dealt with leupolds, any other options i should consider? Will shoot out to 500 max with this scope. Cheers guys.
    Tech likes this.

The new Burris signature HD 3-15x44 at $1199 may suit? As they have only just been released it will be interesting to see how the glass stacks up against the vx3i.

The 4.5-14 has shit eye relief and is a bit much at the bottom end if you are in heavy bush IMO. Those burris sound really good, spoken to a man in the know who told me people are playing with them and canceling their vx5 orders. The 2-10 is $900 and will do everything you need if you are only shooting 500m.
    25 /08 IMP and stevodog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Shooting WHAT to 500?
    Targets? Big game? Rabbits?
    Do You want to dial, or hold over?

Luepys are good glass and 1k is decent scope whichever way you slice it. Go with what you know. No surprises.
    Not always the best to go with what you know. Good to take a risk sometimes, that is how I discovered sightron which is one of the best scopes I have ever owned

VX3 3.5-10 with CDS on trade me now with good price. This is the one. I had a 4.5-14 and as above it is hard to use. Get bidding now

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Shooting WHAT to 500?
    Targets? Big game? Rabbits?
    Do You want to dial, or hold over?

Luepys are good glass and 1k is decent scope whichever way you slice it. Go with what you know. No surprises.
    Am shooting deer, tahr, cham ect. Happy out to 350 with current scope holding over but keen to go out past 400 if ever needed and yes would ideally dial as have used holdover all my life and keen to learn a different skill. Cheers.
    Will look into the new burris range cheers.
    Also considering just going with the 10x power vx3 as have heard some bad things about the eye relief and brightness of the 14x.

Ive got a VX3i 4.5 - 14 x 40
    CDS cm / 100m click

Pro
    Accurate. Good groups on paper.
    Dials well. Exact at 25 cm and at 50cm (5.0 mRad) it moved 48.5 cm.
    This was for a one off movement of 50cm. Happened both with vertical and horizontal dials. The next two shots in each case were closer to 49.5 cm so it may help to dial past and then back. It was easy to dial up and get shots in the middle of the target at 600 yd last weekend. The adjustment is “60cm” ie 6 mRad which will be plenty for most deer/ tahr calibres out to 500m.
    Eye relief is good. About one finger width more than my S&B. At 14x.
    Light weight. Smallest lightest dialling scope available with parallax. This is why I got it. Compromises in other areas but eeight was the key for me.

Cons
    Eyebox is fussy with the small exit pupil at 14x and only 40mm. Needs a well placed cheek rest for best use.
    Field of view cones in below 5x .
    Dials do turn a bit while being carried. Often 3 or 5 cm out. Agent says no solution available. Zero stop version may partially help.
    Second focal plane so if you try to use a holdover ballistic reticle you’ll always be on the back foot. You have to dial and it can do that well.
    Expensive to get with non standard metric turrets and the reticle I wanted. If on a budget you’ll need to phone hard to find one set up the way you like or look second hand- they do come up at times.

When something is really good its easier to see the few imperfections.
    This is the best light weight mountain hunting scope currently available in my opinion.
    For general use and if weight, size and cost aren’t so critical the VX5 would be a better scope.
    rupert, Moa Hunter and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    The 4.5-14 has shit eye relief and is a bit much at the bottom end if you are in heavy bush IMO. Those burris sound really good, spoken to a man in the know who told me people are playing with them and canceling their vx5 orders. The 2-10 is $900 and will do everything you need if you are only shooting 500m.
    I got a VX5 2-10 firedot not to long ago, I find it a very good scope, and the mag range plenty enough for what you want, but the Burris probably would have got the nod if available at the time. Worth checking them out

H.M
    Anyone had a look at the new burris range yet?? Rang a h&f shop up and down the road either side of me today one had them coming in in next few days, very good to deal with, the other did not know what i was talking about, never heard of the scope before (its in there latest magazine) couldnt find on computer, useless....as they always are. Hope to get into the 1st shop i dealt with for a play in the next week or so.

If you're still keen on the vx3i 4.5-14x40 cds flick me a PM as I have one for sale. Has worked well for me, repeatable dialling out to 700m on my 308. Just looking to turn my 308 into a close-up/bush rifle now so after less magnification.

I’ve fit a Burris veracity like new, 2-10x42 and I’ve shit it out to 600m.. selling for 950 slightly negotiable

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan85 View Post
    I’ve shit it out to 600m..
    That's got to be a world distance record...
    Shearer, Huk, wayno and 1 others like this.

I’ve fit a Burris veracity like new, 2-10x42 and I’ve shit it out to 600m.. selling for 950 slightly negotiable
    Do these new Burris scope have an illuminated reticule option?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

H.M
    Cheers mate but i think im still set on the leupold. Thanks for offer tho.

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by Jägermeister View Post
    If you're still keen on the vx3i 4.5-14x40 cds flick me a PM as I have one for sale. Has worked well for me, repeatable dialling out to 700m on my 308. Just looking to turn my 308 into a close-up/bush rifle now so after less magnification.
    Cheers will msg ya. 👍