Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New Scope - Moa vs mil for resale in BZ

60% of the Arkens we sell would be Mil, 40% MOA. The buyers still dabbling with MOA would be those who have grown up with MOA and don't want to change. Newer buyers getting into precision shooting tend to go Mil as it seems to be the most logical choice.
    34mm is becoming more popular with customers wanting optics with decent amounts of elevation.
    The Arkens are a unique optic in that they have put the development into the mechanics. If you get a chance, twiddle the turrets on one of the new generation SH4's. They leave the Vortex PST, Strike Eagle etc dead.
    Husky1600 and ChrisW like this.

Just learn mrad you wont regret it. simple numbering. the only time i wouldn't recommend it is for fclass. as sub tensions on targets lend them selves to moa. I started with moa and now run 2/3 mrad. its easy going back and forth. eventually the last one will be mrad. The maths is probably easier on mrad i think

Mrad is the way of the future, it’s a simpler way to dial 4.9 mil than 16.75 moa and easier to remember numbers. A lot of guys I hunt and shoot with now have mil scope and it’s easier talking the same language in wind holds and misses. My next scope I will be getting a mrad.
    ChrisW likes this.

Just make sure you dont have a mil dot reticle with moa adjust ments. FFP lends itself to proper use of a mil reticle.

The will be people interested in a cheap entry level mil/ mil / FFP system, even if only for their 22.

Strange question, asking about resale value on a new scope before you buy it …

If you are are willing to learn MIL, then IMO it should be the choice.
    To get a person started. .1mil (1 click) is 1cm at 100m. 1mil is a 10cm circle at 100m.
    A problem I see with MIL, is that if a new person from a metric country such as NZ tries to read up about it online, they get confused by Americans trying to use MIL with inches and yards. Don't do that.

Communication and simplicity of math's is why MILs is arguably better, imo.

There really isn't anything to learn with either MOA or Mil unless you are rangefinder with the reticle (which virtually no one does).

You dope gives you a number and you dial it or hold it in the reticle.
    If your scope has a milling type reticle you don't need to convert to a linear measurement, you just use the reticle to measure where your shots went and dial the equivalent into the scope.