Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Newbie question - Halfbolt added to Tikka T3 Lite - was it done wrong?

Yes Toby.

Some but not many moderish rifles have a solid half bolt position,some can be modified to be a bit better.
    What if any advantage is there over a open bolt, you still have to close it.
    If your bolt is open it could slide back and eject a round but this could never happen because you will only chamber a round when a shot is imminent right? So it will be in both hands ready to silently close the bolt, raise the rifle,aim and fire in one fluid movement.
    If you stalk round all day with one up the spout and on half bolt best case is you will lose a bit of ammo.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yes Toby.

Some but not many moderish rifles have a solid half bolt position,some can be modified to be a bit better.
    What if any advantage is there over a open bolt, you still have to close it.
    If your bolt is open it could slide back and eject a round but this could never happen because you will only chamber a round when a shot is imminent right? So it will be in both hands ready to silently close the bolt, raise the rifle,aim and fire in one fluid movement.
    If you stalk round all day with one up the spout and on half bolt best case is you will lose a bit of ammo.

49 posts to go VC double them all up

I tryed to delete it but this POS PC had a hissy

3rd time lucky

You would have been better off to grab some 800+ wet and dry and do up your bolt and chamber races.The good thing about a half cock is that I never hunt with anyone who uses it.

K95
    I use the half bolt method but with the safety engaged also, I tried the bolt down safety on method but had a scary moment when I slipped and dropped the rifle and found the safety had come off and also a mate has done the same but it went off. If you think you can hunt in the bush and only load when you see something well you must be a shitload faster or quieter than me.

The Blaser R93 is probably the only safety I'd ever solely rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr-Bound View Post
    I use the half bolt method but with the safety engaged also, I tried the bolt down safety on method but had a scary moment when I slipped and dropped the rifle and found the safety had come off and also a mate has done the same but it went off. If you think you can hunt in the bush and only load when you see something well you must be a shitload faster or quieter than me.

The Blaser R93 is probably the only safety I'd ever solely rely on.
    IN THE BUSH
    Getting into a "hot" zone or closing in on a roaring stag I will chamber a round close bolt and open fully again,hand around bolt handel other hand on fore end.
    I have NEVER missed out on a deer closing the bolt an extra 15 degrees or whatever.
    Iv missed out on more than a few that saw me before I saw them and unloaded/ open bolt/ half bolt/ half cock/closed bolt safty /closed bolt no safty would have made no difference.

I have no problem with closed bolt on a tested safety as long as your not walking round all day like that,assume a state of semi rediness when an opportunity is imminent or presents itself, opportunity gone extract round put back in mag.

I use an open bolt because that is how i was trained and is natural to me, started on 303 and cock on closing/open bolt is way safer/quicker/quieter than half cock especially on worn or modified(dicked around with) 303s.

With my modern rifles I trust my tested safety absolutely but still use an open bolt, Why? because with my hand on the bolt handle I can feel exactly where it is without looking, I have to find a safety with my thumb and then flick off then on to check.

Old school maybe but no less safe,in fact for me personally its more safe.

OPEN COUNTRY

Sight game chamber a round and fire or get closer chamber a round and fire.

$0.02
    NZHTR, GravelBen and john m like this.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite .308 that has had the half bolt stop improved by a local gunsmith and it will not drop down as in the video when the trigger is pulled.It stays nice and firm in its notch which is what I expect it to do.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

K95
    Sorry VC I was meaning along the lines of people hunting with empty chamber and chambering a round when game is sighted. Very few deer will stand about for that in thick bush country. Open tops I do the same as you, empty chamber until ready for the shot.
    Your method of closing then opening sounds good, but for me as soon as I've left the road/track I'm in the hot zone and the bolt does slide back if it's left all the way open as sometimes I need my hands elsewhere to balance etc. Having the bolt at the first notch just means one less thing to worry about and it's just as safe on my rifle.

I have a round chambered but hold trigger while closing bolt so firing pin is forward. Seems a shit load safer than half cock and all you need to do is lift and drop bolt handle to cock the rifle, quick and quiet.

I'm not sure why half cock is so popular in NZ
    ishoot10s likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I have a round chambered but hold trigger while closing bolt so firing pin is forward. Seems a shit load safer than half cock and all you need to do is lift and drop bolt handle to cock the rifle, quick and quiet.

Aaargh.

madjon_ likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumoe View Post

The video only needs to be wrong once...
    I watched the vidieo 47 times,it hasn't got it wrong yet
    BRADS and Kumoe like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post

Slip...wack on rifles butt...BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Slip...wack on rifles butt...BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have you tried it? I have and couldn't get it to fire when I slammed the butt down, and there was no way I would slam the but down that hard when tripping. Seems safer than half cock where all you need to do is close the bolt and it's live, not to mention a fully tensioned firing pin behind the primer.

I only do this when a shot is imminent, I don't walk around all day with one up the spout.

K95
    Depends if you use the safety as well as half bolt. Having a firing pin against the primer is hardly safer. Half bolt with safety on needs the bolt to go down, safety to come off THEN the trigger pulled in that order to go off.