Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Night vision for dummies

Tools not Toys
    Nah, you should buy my WRX and I will buy the NV. That's if it makes it over the crown range today, Think Ken Block on snow, haha. Even got chains for it but really don't want to fit them as they will root the guards. See what happens, can always turn back, yeah right.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Its pretty fuckin slow on ice tho ay, snow tires with studs
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I do know where there is a brand new gen3 -14 with full accessory kit. I may buy it.
    Forget May,,,, Buy the bloody thing while you can!!!

I can`t get the PVS-14 due to ITAR but the MUM-14 and PBS-14 no problem as all hoops have been jumped through. Can get all the kit as well. Last MUM I bought in the owner was going to use it Cray diving at night......Haven`t heard from him since come to think of it!!! Probabley a Nice NVD just bumping around on the bottom off the Coramandel coast somewhere!!

Sell me your 96/44 please
    Hey Gimp: .44 magnum Ruger lever action # 611634883 There is a 96/44 on trademe at the moment. No not my one!!

Chur

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    No offence to who told you that about thar. But it's no where near accurate. I get your meaning tho.
    Can anyone tell me from experience if the gen 3 civilian stuff is as good as the military issue pilkington kite site and Litton nvg's we had a few years ago in the military?

I was on the trial that tested that gear among others and although they were not my personal preference, they were pretty good bits of kit all the same.
    I seen plenty of animals with both while doing army stuff. With and without IR assistance.
    Has what we can buy now got better than that, is what I am asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    R93 : Here are a couple of photos taken just before half moon and slightly overcast. The one of the scrub is actually a Wallaby with the sight on him taken through a Pilkington Kite. The second is my son with the same wallaby at left about 10 min later taken with a Katod Gen3 PVS-7. No IR light used in either photo.Name:  wallabys nv 022.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  610.1 KBName:  wallabys nv 026.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  812.5 KB

Name:  wallabys nv 021.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  717.8 KB
    This photo gives a better idea of distance viewing with a set of PVS-7`s. We had a good few days but unfortunatly the commercial pest control boys had been on the property the same week so we only got around 45 Wallabys. But it was a bit of fun all the same.

I cant see shit in that first photo but those second two look like bloody daylight with a green filter. awesome

R93
    I see what you mean. The kite is half as good as the headset.
    I recognise that horrible reticule anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    Attachment 12292
    This photo gives a better idea of distance viewing with a set of PVS-7`s. We had a good few days but unfortunatly the commercial pest control boys had been on the property the same week so we only got around 45 Wallabys. But it was a bit of fun all the same.

Looks pretty good. So that's the Katod? What tube specs?

Looks pretty good. So that's the Katod? What tube specs?
    Thats the lower end tube FOM min1260 (SOLD) but from memory it measured 1451FOM , lp/mm61 , S/N23.8 ,gain 55`000x. They go in 3 grades FOM 1260 min , FOM 1600 min , FOM 1800 min. Have one arriving this morning in FOM1260min.
    I had been invited to do a Demo in Timaru area so had the Katod with me. 4 sets of PVS-7`s was a bit of overkill.
    As you know Gimp I have had a bit to do with this stuff and it takes a bit to impress me after the U.S gear. I wouldn`t bring it in if I wouldn`t be happy useing it myself. The FOM1260 makes the XR5 tubes look pretty sick @ about half the price.
    I should have taken some photos through my sons goggles at the time,hes useing XR5, but I was really just pissing around with the camera and seeing if I could get photos through it.
    I could do a line up for you if you want Gen2? Kite,PVS-7 in following: XR5, Gen3 ITT 64lp/mm, Gen3 Pinnical, Katod Gen3 FOM1260. Moon is full at moment so would have to wait till it goes down some,Even Gen1 crap would work at the moment. Thats if I still have a Katod in stock, they don`t lay around here very long.

How much for a basic Katod monocular?

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    How much for a basic Katod monocular?
    PBS-14 Gen3 Katod with headgear $6300nz inc freight & GST. The new PBS-14 looks exactly like the PVS-14 just no U.S made components
    PBS-14 Photonis Gen2+ FOM 1000-1250 $5200 inc Freight & GST 2 week delivery. If you don`t want headgear knock off $250.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Tomorrow night will take some images with a ATN NVG-7 Googles - WPT Tube $4299, or Gen2+ $3799
    Plus a Night Arrow 6 Rifle scope, PS40 day scope attachment and even a Gen1+ rifle scope