Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Non zero lock turrets can be a bitch.

Non zero lock turrets can be a bitch.

My Vx6 2-12 non zero locking turret is a bugger for sometimes moving off zero through rubbing etc, and I never know which way it has moved and by how much.

Ive come up with a way to work it out.
    Once sighted in I reset the elevation to "0" and then wind the turret down to the bottom of its travel (when it stops) and counting the full turns plus final mins/clicks.

So now if it gets rubbed off zero and Im confused by which direction I just dial to the bottom and count up again. Ive written the revolutions and part revolutions on my ballistic table for easy reference.

My scope adjusts very accurately which is a bonus.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Good idea alright. We do similar in the manufacturing plant I work in for flow controls on pneumatic systems. Never thought of using it on a scope but I've also never owned a dialable scope.
    Tahr likes this.

Caretaker
    Perfect

If you ever think you are a full turn out, or you return to zero and suspect your a full turn out just bore sight on a distant point/object

It’s really easy to see

Then rotate the scope turret whichever way to bring the crosshair and bore centre back into alignment

Try it one day, dial up one full turn and you will see how far out it looks when bore sighting
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

You can get your vx6 fitted with a new generation ZL turret by nzasia through your local agent. That's what I'm going to do after the roar. Mine is a cds with the zerostop mod but I prefer the ZL turrets as you can get 2 full revolutions instead of being limited to 1 and aldo the lock in place at zero unless you depress the button so far less likely to move in the first place.
    Bruce I'm sure you already know this not telling you how to suck eggs at all mate, just putting thd info up for others that may not know.
    I think the cost is about NZ$280 and 4-6 weeks turn around as it has to go to service agent in Australia.
    chainsaw likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I’ve done something similar with a couple of Swaros with ballistic turrets. They have zero stops but are limited to one turn. In order to use a 2 turn custom after mkt turret the zero stop has to be removed. That’s very straight forward task. By setting up the scope with a 20moa cant (rail or Burris Zee rings) it means my 200 yd zero is only 1/2 turn from bottom end. If bump it or get confused about the zero I simply crank it down to bottom then come up to the first zero point. Easy peasie

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    I’ve done something similar with a couple of Swaros with ballistic turrets. They have zero stops but are limited to one turn. In order to use a 2 turn custom after mkt turret the zero stop has to be removed. That’s very straight forward task. By setting up the scope with a 20moa cant (rail or Burris Zee rings) it means my 200 yd zero is only 1/2 turn from bottom end. If bump it or get confused about the zero I simply crank it down to bottom then come up to the first zero point. Easy peasie
    My Nikon Monarch was the same on my rem mag feirce before i sold it.....happy accident cause at my hunting ranges i definitely didn't need a canted rail.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    You can get your vx6 fitted with a new generation ZL turret by nzasia through your local agent. That's what I'm going to do after the roar. Mine is a cds with the zerostop mod but I prefer the ZL turrets as you can get 2 full revolutions instead of being limited to 1 and aldo the lock in place at zero unless you depress the button so far less likely to move in the first place.
    Bruce I'm sure you already know this not telling you how to suck eggs at all mate, just putting thd info up for others that may not know.
    I think the cost is about NZ$280 and 4-6 weeks turn around as it has to go to service agent in Australia.
    I just got quoted $450-500 but that is on an old vari x ll so new might be cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

Send it to aussy for a 2 turn zero lock upgrade i done that to mine. So much better now
    dannyb likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Yip think mine about that non hd model
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

If you have quality rings and a quality scope like a Vortex, your windage will be right on the middle of your adjustment range

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    If you have quality rings and a quality scope like a Vortex, your windage will be right on the middle of your adjustment range
    7mmsaum, BRADS and dannyb like this.

Talking dialing for elevation here.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Talking dialing for elevation here.
    I was being cheeky but yeah it's frustrating with exposed turrets that don't lock, some good advice up there with the learning how far you are from bottoming out your dialling though, very good idea.

I've also done the bore sighting trick that @7mmsaum talks about, works better than you'd think.
    Tahr likes this.

This is 100% a design flaw by Leupold.

My Schmidt and Bender has never moved a single click yet is easy to dial, so the engineering can be done.

My VX3i often turns by brushing through bushes. Feeling a VX5 HD, it was just the same although it had a zero lock button. Sounds like the VX6 is the same too. Its an error in the design specification. It should require 4x the torque to move past each click and the cap needs to be lower, flat to the scope tube like 10mm at the most.

I put in the ball bearing (thanks NZ Asia) which limits movement in one direction. I hope that it will only move a few clicks each time and if its over say 200m I’ll be dialling and visually fix it anyway and if its less it will only be a few cm out.

Caretaker
    Vortex + hunting = NO

Vortex + tramping = no

Vortex + birdwatching = no

Vortex + anything = no

Vortex = NO
    buzzman, BRADS, Gibo and 2 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time