Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Norinco Bush Ranger... Opinions?

Norinco Bush Ranger... Opinions?

So, Its my 21st today and feel like treating myself to a new toy, been having a look at the norinco bush ranger as it seems like it could be a good cheap to shoot bolt gun and its not often you see a bolt gun chambered in 7.62x39

Thing is, Norinco products are very hit or miss... Literally.

Whats your opinions or experience with this rifle?
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

I had one it sprayed everywhere won't get another one again, try and find a zastava in 7.62x39
    steven and jcurtis123 like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

northdude
    ive also heard they are hit and miss zastava would be an option or sks which can be similar accuracy wise or one of the single shots might be better accuracy wise

i'd love a zastava but every one i've seen is out my price range, only got about 450 to play with!
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

They tend to break extractors? apparently, and yes not shoot very straight. SKS is noisy if chambering while hunting? but apparently great fun to plink with which owning an AR I can believe. Zasatva seems a good buy from comments Ive seen but not on sale on TM often. As an example a mate sold his norinco and while looking for a zastava ended up with a CZ I think. $450.....hmm budget.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

I'm not too keen on the SKS as a bush gun due to the lack of range and always having one in the chamber with it being a semi.
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

I have this rifle in both .223 &7.62x39. the latter started life with a few "teething problems ,since remedied by GC under my wary eye, and it performs OK.
    the .223 on the other hand was 2nd hand and I got it for a bargain on here. It is a cracker .
    like the others ,id go graze the gunshops and maybe lookfor a reasonable 2nd hand gun to start with. also seek advice of people with experience, or take them with you.
    best of luck anyhow

northdude
    sks will have he same range as the bushranger but as said they are noisy to chamber a round I was toying with the idea of getting one a while back but got the sks for plinking instead not the most accurate thing but then again it was never desighned to be its been very reliable tho

ballistically from my research the 7.62x39rd and the venerable .303 have much the same characteristics. anyhow was over gazing at a TM hopefuls ad for a norinco jw15ss that he thinks is worth ???????$700.00 asking price(alleges over a grand with accesories kit new).this was highlighted by a sensible member on this forum.just below is the hardy perennial guncity floggin em off brand new for $300.00
    i spotted a 2nd hand remington woodmaster s/a in .308 photowise seems in tidy nick may be worth the OP making some enquiries

There was a a nice looking Zastava on one of the FB groups for 500. I would personally get the sks over a bush ranger. Cheaper and probably same accuracy.

I jusy had a chat to my mate, his would only shoot 4~5MOA and the bolt was awful to use.

He looked at the zastava and CZ and the CZ was the best, but I think $1200ish new and pretty much that second hand. The zastavas are $800? if available and pretty much that second hand.

The biggest issue with Norincos is there is more than one "Norinco" company. The Bisley Small Arms factory branded Norincos seem to be the better of what I have seen but the "Polytech" brand is by far the worst for consistancy I have ever come across.As for guns in your budget, keep an eye out on the likes of trade me.

You can get a good working rifle for that amount. here are some examples

Mosin Nagant $245 from Reloaders supplies. (7.62x54R so bigger than you were looking at)

Swedish 6.5x55 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser | Trade Me or Carl Gustav 6.5x55 sporter | Trade Me

Zastava are a bit dearer but worth waiting for new at around $800

Break open Baikals are usually around $400 new. Reloaders have them and so do we. Calibre choices are 223, 308, 7.62x39 and I have seen 30/06, 243, 7.62x54R and a 303. but dont know where to send you for one.

At the end of the day, with your budget, you will be looking at second hand to get the best value. But I would really suggest saving a bit more as if you can double that amount you open a whole new range of firearms like Marlin, Howa, Ruger if you go new, and many others if you go 2nd hand. Good luck.

northdude
    second hand 6.5x55 mauser would be hard to beat in that price range if you are not dead keen on 7.62x39 id stay away from axis and theres a shit model cheap Remington to avoid as well

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    We try to help each other out on this forum, not help set each other back

Don't get the axis and don't get the norinco. If you can't spend much either keep saving (sucks I know) or keep an eye on trademe all the time in that price range as good rifles do come up they just usually go fast