Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Not what you want to read if you use an Atlas

I too think back pack only works if it is full, otherwise it just sinks and goes floppy once place the gun in the top. Then I feel silly packing out my bag with stuff I hardly need just to bulk it up, when I have two perfectly good bipods I can use. That being said, unless im after small critters O don't have my bipod mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    @gadgetman, a daypack of appropriate size and suitable packed is much faster when you are on uneven ground (or rocks) and when you have multiple targets spaced apart - and is just as fast on nice ground as well. The day pack doesn't tempt you to screw up your natural point of aim the same way skewing a bipod will - this is a very common error we see in a lot of shooters at field shoots. A day pack can be used as low as you want and, depending on its size and set up, you can use them while sitting as well. A daypack is not limited to the front of the stock either, it can be used as a rear support for the rifle or along the length of the rifle to fully support it. Day pack can be used to further stabilise your sitting or kneeling position by providing extra support for your knees or elbows. A daypack doesn't add weight to the front of the rifle, doesn't get caught on scrub and long grass as easy - funnily enough, in a lot of cases, a daypack is cheaper than a bipod as well.

Problem with a daypack is that it is harder to hold a rifle as steady off them as you can get in off a bipod - this said, for my shooting, the day pack is generally more practical. I don't bother carrying a bipod with me hunting anymore (Out to 400m or so) as I almost always have a daypack. If I am doing a long range shoot then I carry a bipod.

Just an opinion though, so each to their own
    It's a good opinion

Versapod style remains my favourite style of bipod, just totally impractical to mount to 99% of rifles.