Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: NZ Defence Force to buy 82 new high-tech rifles for $4 million

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    LOL! Yeah... Na

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    See you at the Toby shoot next year Dave so you can show us all how its done.....

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    That's your opion mate.
    I've got a mate who shoots for nz army team and had the Aussie team here last year so have fairly good idea of what the boys can do.
    This year the lead counter sniper instructor for the allied forces in Afghanistan was present.
    While his unit holds the longest kill in the world he was amazed what we do in the paddock.
    You should come see what some of these guys can do before judging.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I ended up talking to him for a solid 2 hours +, Im still realizing in the things I learnt in casual conversation, just impressive
    199p and BRADS like this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

There's some great shooters out there in civilian. Life but I'm not sure taking a shot on the range can not be compared to a battle field situation Could not compare the pressure on the soldier to the range don't know much about either shooting situations just my thorts on it no one shooting back at you on the range I will stay there�� safer (be gentle nt tryin to offend anyone)

R93
    That's your opion mate.
    I've got a mate who shoots for nz army team and had the Aussie team here last year so have fairly good idea of what the boys can do.
    You should come see what some of these guys can do before judging.

Sorry man but I am still pissing myself

I honestly cannot believe you are that naive. I thought you were just taking the piss?

You might want to think about it a bit more if you are serious.
    Starting with maybe logistics, formal training and experience on an international level.
    Not flinging lead with a few blokes in a paddock.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I honestly cannot believe you are that naive. I thought you were just taking the piss?

Starting with maybe logistics, formal training and experience on an international level.

So we will see you next year so you can show us all how its down then ?

Sorry mate I was talking shooting gongs.

Having seen the best of both I no who my money is on, I meant no offence buy it.

Next time we have a shoot both military and civilians will be present your welcome to come have a look see.

Anyhow thread back on topic

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Considering that my Barnard 50 BMG is two to three time more accurate than my M107-A1 was, it would be a struggle to hit the 1330 yard gong with any consistency with the 107 with great ammo.....

I have shot plenty of sub half MOA groups with my Barnard & managed one 1/2 moa & a few moa groups with my M107-A1, it was very accurate for a 107.

To qualify that my Barnard is a POS compared to my 375s, the 50 is designed to "hit the Hilux" anywhere, not "hit Hiluxs wing mirror"

The M107-A1 is absolutely awesome to use & its bloody hard to argue with 10 x 50 cal rounds in the air before the first one gets there, but they are anti material, not anti personal.

The M107-A1 is the coolest semi ever, period, certainly an experience to own & shoot one, just cranking the action is an experience

I was privileged to own one & never thought it could ever happen, at the end of the day a 50 is just a very very cool toy
    Well that's the first time I've ever seen a Nightforce look quite... small.
    199p likes this.

R93
    Sorry mate I was talking shooting gongs.

Having seen the best of both I no who my money is on, I meant no offence buy it.

Next time we have a shoot both military and civilians will be present your welcome to come have a look see.

Anyhow thread back on topic

Let me get this right. You are claiming you have seen the best snipers our army has to offer?

And your claiming kiwi Greg is better than all of them?

Pm me 2 names of these snipers please.

Let me get this right. You are claiming you have seen the best snipers our army has to offer?

And your claiming kiwi Greg is better than all of them?

Pm me 2 names of these snipers please.

LOL can't remember reading that bit

I certainly wasn't the best in the weekend

I'd be very disappointed if paid, full time, trained army sniper boys couldn't out shoot some normal characters with their toys hitting plates. That would be a sad day for nz. You boys would be rapt though.
    BRADS likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    See you at the Toby shoot next year Dave so you can show us all how its done.....
    Grow up Greg. This isn't about me. Its about an unproven claim that I thought was initially a joke.
    I freely admit you would wipe the floor with me shooting beyond 1000.
    I haven't shot deliberately much past that and I don't have the gear. I am not making any claims.

Last edited by R93; 18-10-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    Sarvo likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Some ranges get bent out of shape over muzzle brakes, but I've never seen a rifle lift up a shooting mat next to one
    You haven't looked hard enough Tommy. Last year at the Toby Shoot @Alonzo did exactly that to me just as I was about to pull the trigger.
    Alonzo likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Comparing a civilian shooter to an army sniper is like comparing a good driver to an F1 driver. There's no comparison between the two, sure there are good shooters at the toby shoot but you guys are taking shots @ plates in a "relaxed" environment.

Besides that you are seriously forgetting that army snipers are elite - you can't just be a sniper if you think you can shoot long range, they are highly trained personnel far beyond any infantrymen and must meet minimum criteria to even get selected as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Comparing a civilian shooter to an army sniper is like comparing a good driver to an F1 driver. There's no comparison between the two, sure there are good shooters at the toby shoot but you guys are taking shots @ plates in a "relaxed" environment.

Besides that you are seriously forgetting that army snipers are elite - you can't just be a sniper if you think you can shoot long range, they are highly trained personnel far beyond any infantrymen and must meet minimum criteria to even get selected as one.
    As I understand it Brads has mentioned that there has been "snipers" at his range shooting in a "relaxed" environment & he wasn't blown away by their performance..

Shooting is only a very small part of their role, whilst it was only on TV so it must be taken FWIW I saw an international comp on TV once & MOA was considered pretty bloody good.

It would certainly do the job they intended it to do.

Naturally like everything there are people who excel in their chosen field or hobby & others that just get by.

I have seen Guys shoot that are incredibly talented behind a rifle, definitely F1 shooters, some were at the Toby shoot.

Back on track.

Its great to see they are going to have some new gear, yes the cost seems to be pretty high but as mentioned it includes a lot of gear, spares, training etc.

I have used both the M107-A1 & M-Rad, they are very nice to use & fit for purpose