Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By Stocky
  • 1 Post By 25 /08 IMP
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 5 Post By 199p
  • 2 Post By Tahr

Thread: Nz hunter carbon fiber stocks ??

Nz hunter carbon fiber stocks ??

How much does this really save weight wise over the standard tikka stock ? and can they fit a carbon fiber barrel ?. And is the weight saving worth the money ?? Any pro or cons i should be aware of ? thanks

The carbon stocks are usually around 650grams so weigh your factory stock and see what you will save. Probably a few hundred grams. They are stiffer than factory.

Your can break either one although usually that's in a fall not general use.

They can fit a carbon barrel but it's worth noting a carbon barrel weighs more than a factory Tikka barrel as they are a heavier contour. Carbon barrels only really save weight on long and large profile builds otherwise light contour steel barrels are lighter. Tikka barrels are known to shoot well so I wouldnt rebarrel for weight savings as you will be sorely disappointed.

Cons of both carbon options are they are expensive. And you won't recoup it if you sell.

Pros rebarreling allows fully custom chambering options and twist rates.

I've been down both those roads and had carbon stocks and carbon wrapped barrels before but now I have a standard tikka superlight.
    I would buy another carbon stock If I had the spare cash. You may save a bit of weight but it's probably more about the look cool factor and a higher comb.
    The carbon barrel never shot as good as my factory tikka but the tikka shoots pretty dam good.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Ground Control likes this.

My experience with CF stocks for hunting purposes has been excellent. Have retrofitted them on REM700 SA and LA, Tikkas, sakos and Weatherby/ Howa. Super light Weight, better cheek rise and provide a stiff platform which helps with accuracy - much better than any of the factory stocks and also a better option than B&C or other heavy/stiff composites. Now this assumes you are fairly recoil tolerant, especially if you’re dealing with magnum calibres.
    CF wrap barrels are designed to extract maximum cash from the unsuspecting punters pocket. As Stocky has said you only start to gain advantage if your using long and heavy profile barrels - not something I’d consider for a hunting rifle.
    matagouri likes this.

Cf barreled rifles make for the best walking sticks especially when its cold and wet so much nicer then steel on the cold mornings
    veitnamcam, BRADS, Shearer and 2 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Cf barreled rifles make for the best walking sticks especially when its cold and wet so much nicer then steel on the cold mornings
    Gloves are cheaper.
    veitnamcam and 25 /08 IMP like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Gloves are cheaper.
    Not as cool tho.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Not as tacti-cool tho.
    ��
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    ��
    I can get some with carbon knuckle guards if you like...best of both worlds ?
    born to hunt - forced to work