Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Oh Dear

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    A big hammer the other way will fix it, or a press?
    Only the physical damage

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Banned
    More reading indicates there are just two Anschutz actions. The 54 and the 64.

I have a 64 and trigger options are extensive.

If you can get 5098 trigger for it. Simply the best, would rate with any of the top line (Bix'nandy, Triggertech etc) Rem 700 type triggers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    If you can get 5098 trigger for it. Simply the best, would rate with any of the top line (Bix'nandy, Triggertech etc) Rem 700 type triggers.
    You can and I had already worked out that was the one I was after.

If you cant get one from NZ, Nordic Markman in Canada has lots, use the search function, but not cheap,

http://www.nordicmarksman.com/
    Tussock likes this.

Banned
    So took it in today.

He started saying it wasn't bent before he actually looked at it. This is an Anschutz 1415/1416 and the trigger is on an angle to the point it's hard against the trigger apeteur in the bottom metal, as you can see in the photos. He was talking fast and said "these things are not bedded" implying it's the action not true in the bedding.

I left the trigger with him and he complained I had not originally sent the bolt with it so he had not been able to test it. Glad I didn't.

I came back after a bit and he said it was sorted and that it was the sear.

Now I actually expected this response. Because the obvious thing to do was adjust it until it worked.

This was a beautiful trigger and it was adjusted to its safe limit, which on these things is a very light trigger. I really like triggers. I've had 6 ounce triggers. Most of mine are around 1lb.

So my delicate trigger which was adjusted to be very light got smacked on one side and now it won't work, because it's a delicate piece of precision engineering.

Or his version, that it somehow adjusted it's self between the last time I used it and now, and that the trigger was always on an angle touching on one side. Because Anschutz have worse quality control than Baikal and I just never noticed.

As we are going with his version, the answer is adjust it till it works. Which he did and handed back, without explanation. I took it and left.

Took it home and sure enough this trigger is now like pulling the handbrake on a car. It's got so much creep that I can start pulling the trigger, feel it move, stop, move it again, stop then move the trigger a third time and it will fire after a bit more creep. It's now a worse trigger than my factory 10/22. It's like my old $75 Chinese air rifle.

So I called him and told him and he started to explain how to adjust it. I thanked him and hung up, ending our relationship.

That out of the way, I rang the distributor, a well known gun store, looking for a trigger. I got told "send it to us, we will see if we can fix it". I said I just wanted a new trigger and got told firmly by someone who was clearly too busy "they are very expensive". I said I'm not intersted in sending it anywhere as its a hassle and got told to send it via gun city and they would see if they could fix it and ended the conversation. It was all one way.

Now this just means I'm sending my rifle to a gun store so Bubba on $17 an hour can fiddle with it as well as the "gunsmith" who bashed it. Usually this results in it coming back with part of the action filed away. These people who "know things about guns because they are in the industry" know less than me. I have my own files. Even a dremmel. So in NZ I'm a gunsmith too.

So rang the previous distributor. A gunsmith, possibly a real one. He impressed me immediately by saying "I wouldn't want a trigger that has been bent and straightened, it's a precision instrument". My sentiments exactly.

Next he said "those triggers are not that expensive" and reccomended I try get one through the Aussie distributor and to talk to Anschutz directly.

I'm going to talk to talk to Anschutz and find out what is available for my rifle.

mikee likes this.

What a circus, wouldn't go near the dude that stuffed it up again . Sounds promising this other fella at least he seems to have some clues. Hope he gets it sorted for you no good as it is.