Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By Bagheera
  • 2 Post By goatcommander

Thread: Old scope for .303

Old scope for .303

Hi guys, I have two old scopes that I have not used before, and wanting to mount one to my newly acquired Parker hale .303
    One is a vintage bushnell banner ll 1-4x20 with German post reticle.
    The other is an old Bentley 4x40 by miroku.
    Both scopes made in Japan, both appear in good condition.
    Does anyone have any experience with these scopes? Would greatly appreciate some opinions.
    Thanks!

the mirokus were great scopes....either will do fine IF they zero and stay zeroed....be aware you may need a crossbar or rivet in between bases and rings as SMLEs are notorious for moving scopes forwards
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Ok thanks for the tip, how do I do this? Weld a bit of steel on the rail between the two rings?

nope...most come with a grove in base and corrosponding rail/pin in mounts so they cant move back or forwards
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Greetings,
    If you are using a Parker Hale base and rings there will be a shallow hole between the two mounting screws at the front of the base. One of the rings will have a pin sticking out from the bottom. This ring goes at the front. Hopefully your rifle came with the base and rings fitted.
    GPM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Bear in mind the Lee Enfield is a rear locking action, meaning lugs at the back of the bolt not the front like a standard sporting rifle. This means that the receiver undergoes a lot more flexing over it's length than a front locking action every time it's fired, this is what causes the scope creep mentioned above. Also, if you are using an aluminium bodied scope - this can stuff the scope if you have a two-piece mounting setup. A one piece base or rail is the better option for LE actions, screwed to the side of the receiver...
    zimmer and kristopher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by goatcommander View Post
    Hi guys, I have two old scopes that I have not used before, and wanting to mount one to my newly acquired Parker hale .303
    One is a vintage bushnell banner ll 1-4x20 with German post reticle.
    The other is an old Bentley 4x40 by miroku.
    Both scopes made in Japan, both appear in good condition.
    Does anyone have any experience with these scopes? Would greatly appreciate some opinions.
    Thanks!
    I had Japanese 2 Bushnell Banners a long time ago. I put a 4x Banner on my 308 after my Weaver packed it in. I also had a 6x for a while.
    They were quite a good scope in their day. Bushnell did their upper market Scopechief and their more budgety Banner.

Thanks guys,
    It’s no1 mk3 action with original Parker hale scope mount I could upload some photos tonight.
    What would be the best thing to do to ensure scope doesn’t move around? Should be pretty sound as it is right? As long as everything is tightened up good and proper?
    I hunt off my dirt bike often so my rifles are usually subject to getting knocked around a fair bit. Cheers

The Bentley was an inexpensive scope but they performed above their price bracket. The Banner vari-power was also quite good but may have sealing problems by now.

Quote Originally Posted by goatcommander View Post
    Thanks guys,
    It’s no1 mk3 action with original Parker hale scope mount I could upload some photos tonight.
    What would be the best thing to do to ensure scope doesn’t move around? Should be pretty sound as it is right? As long as everything is tightened up good and proper?
    I hunt off my dirt bike often so my rifles are usually subject to getting knocked around a fair bit. Cheers
    Greetings,
    First make sure that the scope base is well fixed to the action. You may want to take it of, clean everything and Loctite it all in place. If you have rings ensure that they fit the base. There are several widths that have been used over the years, Later rings will be loose on the dovetails. Also make sure that the projection in the front ring is present and making good contact with its recess. It is a press fit in the ring secured by the cross pin. Fit the rings first and don't overdo the tightening of the nob as the cross pins are not that strong and best of luck finding a replacement. Make sure that the inside of the rings and the scope tube are free of oil before assembly. There are 26mm rings about so check the dia.
    Finally if you are a handloader keep the loads down so that you are not putting too much stress on either the action or the cases. Loads for my two .303 rifles are around start loads with pressures around 35,000 CUP which will give velocities in the 2,200 to 2,400 FPS range depending on projectile weight. Cases are just neck sized and with an anneal from time to time should last for ages. Full power loads and full length sizing would reduce that to less than 5 loads, perhaps a lot less. PM me if you have specific questions.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    kristopher likes this.

In the early 1980s I used a Bentley ( later miroku ) 4x 32 on my 303 at times (also on a 30-06) and it was good, with a satisfying thick crosshair. Held zero and accurate within limitations of the day and magnification. Never fogged yet and I still have it as a spare. When tested much later the adjustments were considerably less than expected , but just fine for sighting in.

The 4x32 Redfield (1977 vintage ) was clearer and better but 3x the price. Bushnell banner were also well respected quality scopes better than Bentley but a notch below Leupold and Redfield.

Bentley/Miroku is an authentic scope of around 1980 for sporterised 303 SMLE and will bring out the full performance of the day.
    erniec likes this.

Name:  C7863C26-E1D8-4B13-88CF-026AE229FAA6.jpeg
Views: 218
Size:  2.54 MB

Hi guys, thanks for all the info. This is the old banner, going to give this a try as it looks in good condition,

Name:  61AD45D0-9F98-47C2-921D-F18C90608340.jpeg
Views: 221
Size:  2.66 MB
    Bagheera and scotty like this.