Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By blip

Thread: One of the unusual ones

One of the unusual ones

I like things that are a little bit odd. I picked this up a little while ago at lgs. It doesn't have a model no on it but the closest thing I can find to it is a mauser ms420. It just has mauser werk on it. It differs to the 420s I've seen pics of as the fore stock is different. This one has no rear sight but has what looks like an original aperture sight that fits on the dove tail grooves on the receiver. It also has a place for a safety but when I had it out of the stock it looks like its never had one fitted to it. I presume this may have been a target rifle. Another strange thing about it is the front sling swivel can screw up and put tension on the front of the fore stock kind of like an adjustable pressure point. The bolt has a really short throw as well

Name:  20230706_195510.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  2.54 MB
    zimmer, john m, FRST and 1 others like this.

Name:  20230706_195545.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  976.0 KB

Name:  20230706_195534.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  994.8 KB

Nice gun! I believe there were a few variants from MS410. The one with the angled mag is pre-1930. I also have one, but with a grooved fore end and no snabel. The front sling stud is turned into a piece that slides into a groove on the bottom of the barrel. My rear sight was mangled by a previous owner. Does it shoot straight?

Yep its a pretty good shooter I only had limited types of ammo to try in it. I also have a baikal/vostok target rifle that I shot the same day as the mauser same distance and same ammo. Although very agricultural as the russian stuff is it out shot the mauser. Ill do a thread on it as well.

I'd do almost anything to acquire one of those aperture sights. I'm in Australia and have looked and looked.
    If anyone has one they'd move on I'd be very interested.

Nice find! I got an MS 420B with the 5 round mag sitting flat in front of the trigger guard.
    The front schnabel on your stock I do not think is original as all the schnabel front ends are protruding below the forearm stock line. It looks like somebody has threaded the muzzle end for a silencer as well. I got a Walther KKJ with the front sight moved back to make room for a muzzle thread.
    The people who made these alterations have a special place in hell!:
    Can you, please post a photo showing the underside of the aperture assembly, please? Does it have a round or a flat cut dove tail underneath?
    Can you still see the Mauser logo on the RH side of your stock?
    They are nice rifle to handle, heavy barrels, well made.
    The original rear sight were soldered on the barrel and has a windage adjustment as well as a blade with two positions/cuts for a bead or square type front sight.
    Mine is very very accurate with CCI target ammo subsonic.