Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: To optic or not?

Can one import sights without the red tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post
    Yeh, mines a takedown, laminate in stainless, nothing as pretty as your, but thats all there was on offer... Love the pistol grip with Stainless look. its so classic! Strill, I am sure I will do cartwheels when it arrives. Any issues with the hammer find under that scope?

No plenty of room to work the hammer. Pistol grip models have a higher comb which gives you a bit more leeway when mounting a scope.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Yip. i'd put dot or very low optic,
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Don't limit yourself to 100yards, a 308 blr is good to 300 with a 5 power scope on it.

I used this a a bush rifle for a while, Leupy VX5 1-5 firedot ( it can be a little "fish eyed" at 1 power but not to bad, firedot is awesome ) . I didn't fuk around suppressing it. It was a "find a Deer - shoot the Deer" gun & it was heavy enough & well weighted as it was.

Name:  BLR VX5.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  822.8 KB
    NRT, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

For real low light/close range stuff I used to squeeze a ball of tinfoil onto the foresight of my Finnwolf, worked well for sitting and waiting type hunting.
    Later went to 2.75 scope, magic!

(Except when using 8X binos to spot an animal cos looking through the scope after spotting made it shrink LOTS!
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post
    Thanks, thats what I expected to hear, happy BLR shooters! I know the warnings about disassembly...DONT! There will be some machine dust from the new gears after a while. so how did you keep that clean? I know the firing pin and chamber must be very clean or soft misfires can happen. What do you recommend? Compressed air enough? I have some Winchester SuperX in 185 gn coming, and luck with those?
    185 or 180grn???? the 180s are awesome,bog std and just work....soft recoil impulse and hit like hammer of thor.
    we just cleaned using pull through,break free CLP was flavour of month for us.

Phil....subsonic is ALL about shot placement...you have next to NO SHOCK when projectile hits...think arrow not bullet.
    head/neck or right through breadbasket...if going bread basket...after shot.boil the billy,have your cuppa/ciggy then go find animal.... animal can walk away but will bleed out pretty quickly....with the straight stocked older style a hammer spur is advantage but we got away without it.
    Dago likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Phil....subsonic is ALL about shot placement...you have next to NO SHOCK when projectile hits...think arrow not bullet.
    head/neck or right through breadbasket...if going bread basket...after shot.boil the billy,have your cuppa/ciggy then go find animal.... animal can walk away but will bleed out pretty quickly....with the straight stocked older style a hammer spur is advantage but we got away without it.
    Whats the comaprison between subsonic .308 vs standard .223 for hunting? That 462ft/lbs figure does not give confidence.

223 has shock....its hitting fast and expanding....308 subsonic is boring a hole through flesh..... if you have ever hit animal with buckshot you will have some idea of what Im saying.

also the 223 will happily point n shoot the likes of goats out to 200-250 subsonic 308 FOR ME would be 75 yards..... I played with subsonic heaps in x39mm and after a few cockups with my house muttons gave it away and went back to .223....the room for error is so much more,a near miss of brain with .223 will have enough shock to drop animal, the subsonic will have it shake head and or just get pissed off.

yes agree at CLOSE range it would be ideal.... if you try the subsonics at 50-75 yards and dont quite hit brain....its not a pretty outcome. for pig in pen or below 25 yards they VERY good...if you were confident Im sure subsonic is fine out further...but not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    For the house muttons I recommend a .45 ACP insert for the shotgun such as the one @akaroa1 made up for me.

I walk out to my sheep now with confidence knowing that it isn't going to be a cockup. 230gr at near 800 fps and they just drop.

Cheers
    Phil
    Phil mate, you need .45acp for your South Island sheep? Up here i get away with 22lr. Do you need .50bmg for your beefies?
    rugerman and Phil_H like this.

Low power scope or red dot

I’ve just got a 16.5 inch barrel bergara ba13 in 308 with dpt over barrel suppressor. Has anyone managed to have open sights fitted to one of these to shoot over suppressor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    For me, a Low power scope. Open sights are a struggle in poor light and shadows.
    Yeah same, I really struggle with iron sights in low light. Might have been easier 10 years ago...but now adding lights allover the house just to be able to see stuff. A low power, low mounted scope would be just the ticket.
    Micky Duck, Phil_H and Ben Waimata like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella