Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Optics - buying from US

Optics - buying from US

Hello,

I am new to enter shooting. I have got a rifle now 22lr and looking for a place to buy a good scope. I noticed there are not many options in the store (AKL) and i have browsed a few US online store. Can anyone recommend some online store or good source to buy good stuff from please? I am also thinking about the warranty issue if the scope is purchased from overseas so please advise me.

cheers

How much are you willing to spend?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Be aware if your goods including the shipping cost are $400 or more you'll have to pay GST and an "import entry transaction fee" to NZ Customs before your goods will be released for delivery.

Private imports by post or courier

Basically and generally if you import product the warranty risk is all yours. After all you got it cheap. I you can accept that risk then you are good to go if not then buy locally
    I have and do do both ( I accept the risk I take if it fails).
    You cant expect a local distributor to cover a warrenty on something they never sold in the first place.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Highly recommend nikon 3-9x40 bdc 150 rimfire they are cheap and great for .22. Saw one on trademe for around $275

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nick-D likes this.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...est&_iv_page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    How much are you willing to spend?
    budget will be up to 1k

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Be aware if your goods including the shipping cost are $400 or more you'll have to pay GST and an "import entry transaction fee" to NZ Customs before your goods will be released for delivery.

Private imports by post or courier
    So there is no chance that i can get missed aye. I just read that link i need a client code for the imported items valued over 1k. Is it complicated for that case?

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Basically and generally if you import product the warranty risk is all yours. After all you got it cheap. I you can accept that risk then you are good to go if not then buy locally
    I have and do do both ( I accept the risk I take if it fails).
    You cant expect a local distributor to cover a warrenty on something they never sold in the first place.
    I understand. It seems it will be bad luck to me if i receive a faulty scope from US online stores. And it is worthless to send it back if it can get fixed here by saying that it is minor fault.

Quote Originally Posted by anderset20 View Post
    Highly recommend nikon 3-9x40 bdc 150 rimfire they are cheap and great for .22. Saw one on trademe for around $275

I borrowed a mate's bushnell banner last month and it is fine for 25m but i can't get it to 100m. My savage mk2 tr has the potential to shoot a good group at 100m even it is 22lr so that's why I'm looking for a mid price-range scope.

Quote Originally Posted by anderset20 View Post
    heard about this but not really sure how it is. any shopping experience with them?

No shopping experience I was lucky enough to trade on here and get one of these. I'm shooting rabbits at 100m plus with just a ruger 10/22. Not every time but you can tell they're close. Never shot at paper with it yet

Quote Originally Posted by woo9 View Post
    I borrowed a mate's bushnell banner last month and it is fine for 25m but i can't get it to 100m. My savage mk2 tr has the potential to shoot a good group at 100m even it is 22lr so that's why I'm looking for a mid price-range scope.
    Digit from NZHUNTER.COM has some quality enough scopes and he's having a closing down sale (spending more time on nzar15.com so there's still after sales support). The Mueller ones are on the cheaper end of the budget and will do quite a good job for the $.

You'll get the scope delivered quicker, plus NZ warranty backup should there any issues. I'm using one of his Eraticator 8.5-25x50 for shooting silhouettes out to 100m with no issues, nice clear target and the microdot is perfect for target shooting at distance because the cross hairs and target dot aren't covering up the target. Cheaper at $221 is the 8.5-25x44 mil dot, which I've got on a 223 for rabbits and that does a fab job.

Look on trademe too, you can get some good deals on there. Buying stuff from the US is doable but gst and shipping can cost a lot and it can be a pain in the arse.

What 22 have you brought that'd warrant a $1000 scope?
    I'd find a good second hand Burris Fullfield 2 on trademe, got one on my 22 and it's great.
    It's been on my 223 my 17hmr in previous lives and has done extremely well on all rifles.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Look on trademe too, you can get some good deals on there. Buying stuff from the US is doable but gst and shipping can cost a lot and it can be a pain in the arse.

What 22 have you brought that'd warrant a $1000 scope?
    I'd find a good second hand Burris Fullfield 2 on trademe, got one on my 22 and it's great.
    It's been on my 223 my 17hmr in previous lives and has done extremely well on all rifles.
    I got a Savage MKII TR 22LR. What i am thinking is to have a great scope that can last long enough and not just for 22LR but also for my future bigger rifles