Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Grey Kiwi
  • 2 Post By Proudkiwi
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By flock
  • 1 Post By T.FOYE

Thread: PCP target air rifle

PCP target air rifle

Looking at the on-going ammo shortages (.22 target stuff) I'm thinking maybe a change to a PCP air rifle.
    Only for indoors benchrest at 25 yards.
    Can't afford $4000+ for an Anschutz...so what do I look at?
    Not much to choose from in NZ at the moment.
    What's good, or bad, or maybe even just OK in the world of PCP target air rifles?
    Don't want a break barrel, or a nitro piston job...I think PCP is the better way to go for this.
    Thoughts, ideas?
    Thanks.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Watching with great interest....

$3000 for an FX
    Or$1000 for my Daystate Ph6
    The S410 classic is not for sale
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

I bought a Daystate recently and it was faulty out of the box. It was replaced and the replacement had the same issue with the onboard computer.

Ended up changing to an Air Arms S510 Ultimate Rifle (?) which has been outstanding. Even better is it was significantly cheaper. Still not cheap, but the quality, and accuracy actually shocked me.

Id recommend one.
    7mmsaum and Grey Kiwi like this.

I had one for a while. Too boringly accurate for my tastes! Sold on.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

If you want to get seriously into it, a FX mavrick or impact be ideal, lots you can do tuning wise. Got the wildcat but more set up for hunting. Do come up second hand, some good buys to be had. 25 yards pcps are tack drivers. Need a chrony to tune it, dive bottles whatever to fill it, extra costs. I bought mine for the same reasons cheap shooting once setup.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

I forgot to say that as it's for benchrest, and I will be using a front rest that I need some sort of front stock with enough length to be viable at fitting into my rest.
    I guess it doesn't help to just plonk the PCP cylinder into the front rest? A bit of wooden stock fore end, or extended chassis would be best?

What's your upper end budget? That really locks in your options as there's no free lunch with airguns. Look for things like adjustable triggers to get the best accuracy out of them. That's one gripe I had with my FX, it had a fake target trigger that did not change the break weight.

Trademe has some deals but you'll need to get that in for a service immediately on buying it most likely. Heaps of airguns sat around gathering dust after the gov decided to make them FAL items so things like seals can often need replacing. It's worth checking with Youngs if they service / stock spares before you buy 2nd hand I reckon.
    But if it's looked after the barrel should be mint. They don't wear like rifle barrels but they can pitt just the same
    Bol Tackshin likes this.