Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Pistol ammo what to do?

Pistol ammo what to do?

Bit random but just looking to advise someone what to do: they had a pistol overseas and handed it in there but the ammo was sent to NZ and the owner has now died, no FAL in family and deceased didn’t have licence to my knowledge, what to do with it now, can they hand pistol ammo into police? Or can a person with pistol licence pick up, is a pistol licence needed to have pistol ammo?

You absolutely could hand it in, or you might be able to give it to a licensed person, some pistol calibers are available in rifles so I guess it depends what it is and how much of it there is too ?
    I'm sure many folk more knowledgeable than me will be along to comment.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Thanks Danny, there is 2boxes 38special

Give it to somebody with a standard firearms license for starters. 38 special can be used in a number of rifles, mostly lever actions.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Yeah plenty of “normal” a cat firearms chambered in 357 mag/38 special
    Just get them to give it to someone who has a license
    Or more so get them to come pick it up so you’re not driving around with something something you’re not meant to have

Or you could just go to your local police station and hand it in for destruction they will probably ask how you got it with no fal
    Just don’t keep it for months before doing anything right now you have a good excuse as you were cleaning a deceased estate
    And found it but if you use that excuse in a years time not so much
    Beaker, Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

The police are happy to get firearms/ammo out of circulation and would more than likely be reasonable about it if they decided to just hand it in. Otherwise any FAL holder would be very happy to receive some free ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by duckndeer View Post
    Bit random but just looking to advise someone what to do: they had a pistol overseas and handed it in there but the ammo was sent to NZ and the owner has now died, no FAL in family and deceased didn’t have licence to my knowledge, what to do with it now, can they hand pistol ammo into police? Or can a person with pistol licence pick up, is a pistol licence needed to have pistol ammo?
    You used to be able to hand it in to a gunshop as well. I presume this is still OK. Prior to the quakes I had someone hand estate firearms to me via a shop so I could find new legal owners and I would hand the cash back to the estate....
    @duckndeer The Police will accept them and destroy them, but a FAL holder may well offer you a few beersies or similar in return....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I use 38 Special for Cowboy Action Shooting and would happily solve your problem if I was in Christchurch. Another option is to surrender it in to a firearms retailer. I am sure they would take it off your hands.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Get them to give it to the cops or someone with a licence, just don’t hold onto it. The longer they have it the harder it will be to explain away if it gets found out they have it.

@duckndeer I'm in CHCH and could take them off your hands.I'm sure we could come to some sort of barter
    Flick me a pm if you want

Seano

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Ammo is in palmy north I’ll pass info onto owner and see what they want to do, thanks for reply’s!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Even easier, my daughter has an FAL with B endorsement and is in Linton camp At Palmerston North. If it was helpful, I could ask her to pick them up for you. She could store them at the armoury in the camp.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Delphus View Post
    Get them to give it to the cops or someone with a licence, just don’t hold onto it. The longer they have it the harder it will be to explain away if it gets found out they have it.
    Can't agree with you. You are entitled to have ammo for legal reasons. Collecting is legal. No you do not need an FAL. I once entered the country with a bunch of Pistol ammo for Pistols I had no licence for, on an Air NZ flight. I had to collect it from airport police. Showed my passport and boarding ticket and was on my way. If you're a bad bastard and up to no good caught in other criminal activity etc then yes it will be a problem. But there is no need to panic particular if you are taking reasonable steps to move it on in a bona fide manner. I.e. not supplying to crims. Just make sure it is secured away from children or public access. In fact they could sell it on TM with no issues as everyone else does.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Can't agree with you. You are entitled to have ammo for legal reasons. Collecting is legal. No you do not need an FAL. I once entered the country with a bunch of Pistol ammo for Pistols I had no licence for, on an Air NZ flight. I had to collect it from airport police. Showed my passport and boarding ticket and was on my way. If you're a bad bastard and up to no good caught in other criminal activity etc then yes it will be a problem. But there is no need to panic particular if you are taking reasonable steps to move it on in a bona fide manner. I.e. not supplying to crims. Just make sure it is secured away from children or public access. In fact they could sell it on TM with no issues as everyone else does.
    ....no disrespect intended.... but the current environment (anecdotally and legally) differs to your experience.
    timattalon likes this.