Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Plan B 17" .243

Swap your .243 barrel for my 6mmRem barrel, do the same thing an even harder way
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

@Tussock what’s the bet it shoots the 90gr eldx really well, and also a variety of 95-100gr soft points? And it tips deer over left right and centre and you’ll want to keep it the way it is? LOL!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    @Tussock what’s the bet it shoots the 90gr eldx really well, and also a variety of 95-100gr soft points? And it tips deer over left right and centre and you’ll want to keep it the way it is? LOL!
    The first part is very likely

The second part is not

This will be like my old 6.5x47 Sako, but better and more beautiful.

But just sticking an ordinary can on it and using it as is will do.
    7.62 likes this.

I ran the berger 87gr VLD hunting in an old sav 99 with?? 1:10 was very emphatic on goats and small/ medium deer, never shot large deer with it.
    Over W760/H414.
    Definitely want's a supressor as with an 18" barrel your shooting mates will not be very happy with you.
    M14 thread from Hardy very common. What have you got?
    Z
    GWH likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    I ran the berger 87gr VLD hunting in an old sav 99 with?? 1:10 was very emphatic on goats and small/ medium deer, never shot large deer with it.
    Over W760/H414.
    Definitely want's a supressor as with an 18" barrel your shooting mates will not be very happy with you.
    Z
    Something completely random. Probably the only gun with the thread in NZ according to smith.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Ive been recently playing with loads for my Dads old original model 7 (18.5" tube).

I originally had been using 100gr SGK's trying to keep as much retained energy as possible for the 300 yards plus clearings we often shoot. But i used a slow powder (7828ssc) to gain as much velocity as possibly in the short barrel which worked sweet, gaining nearly 300 fps over factory 100gr federal ammo in his barrel. But believe it or not the recoil was bloody stiff, and the old boy (78 with buggered shoulders) wasnt a big fan of shooting it.

So ive recently been playing with both 85gr SGK's (a very popular 243 deer bullet) and 87gr Vmaxs (being used in 243 by a few for good terminal performance on deer sized game at extended ranges).

His 18.5" barrel is pushing both the 85's and 87's at between 3060 -3100.. When looking at the 85gr SGK (3,100 fps) at 400 yards the energy is getting down a bit (688 ft lbs) but still over 1900 fps.

Due to the better BC of the 87 Vmax, starting at a muzzle velocity of 3060 fps, out at 400 yards it retains 895 ft lbs and 2,150 fps. So a better choice out at your 400 yards max range........BUT at closer ranges you'd want to neck shoot, as going by the goats Dad shoulder shot at just over 200 yards, the 87 Vmax just Chernobyl'd them. Instant death, and on inspection (cutting a front shoulder off and opening them up) it was like a little grenade had gone off inside them. Wow!

For the distances, my Dad will be shooting (prob 250-300 yd max) I'll load up the 85gr SGK for him.
    Interesting how BC and weight seem to have a greater effect then velocity. As you would know from your grendel shooting the 123gr at a meagre 2500 has almost 1000ftlb at 400yds
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Over W760/H414.
    Z
    The 87gr VLD's i ordered have now arrived, i have H414 (used it in 243 already) so i'll be loading up a ladder to test very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Remmodel7 View Post
    Interesting how BC and weight seem to have a greater effect then velocity. As you would know from your grendel shooting the 123gr at a meagre 2500 has almost 1000ftlb at 400yds
    Yes thats right, the little Grendel piddling along at 2500-2550 with a 123 eldm has surprising ballistics out to 400 yards. I once would have scoffed at such low velocity, but ive seen that if matched with a bullet of decent bc it can be quite effective.

Put a 90gr TNT in the grendel and drive it at 2900 fps and look at the numbers out at 400 yds, its tapers off very quickly.

@GWH have you checked out the 6mm arc. I guess comparing Apple's with apples being 6mm shows this also. I think it shoots the 108 eldm.
    GWH likes this.

Banned
    .243 threads always go hard

Everyone loves the 6mm-08

Better have a go
    superdiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    They only shoot in a few barrels but if they will shoot they are still "the best". Nosler partitions, choice of 85 or 100's in 6mm

?

Banned
    So the end result was a visit to my local smith.

Rifle getting a DPT overbarrel in 6.5 fitted on the 17.5" barrel, the S&B stuck on top and I left with brass and projectiles to muck around with.

Going to shoot it as a short barreled 243 for a while. Gives me a suppressed rifle.
    superdiver likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    So the end result was a visit to my local smith.

Rifle getting a DPT overbarrel in 6.5 fitted on the 17.5" barrel, the S&B stuck on top and I left with brass and projectiles to muck around with.

Going to shoot it as a short barreled 243 for a while. Gives me a suppressed rifle.
    It'll go just fine, the 18" 243 i have came from an older mate who hunted solely with this 243. He shot many times more deer with it than i ever will i am sure.

My 17" goes alright. You will love it I reckon, but if you haven't already @Tussock, make that first baffle a stainless one. It's pretty brutal on them otherwise.

I'd have a short barrelled .243 without hesitation, obviously a fast twist would be preferable
    GWH and superdiver like this.

I run a 18 inch 243 with winchester factory and it is no where near as hard on its DPT as my old short barreled 223 AR(12.5 inch)

does the trick for everything I do, but I live in northland where 200m would be considered a long shot.