Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Pleasantly surprised. Time to hunt with irons?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Not yet, I lost my wee mate yesterday so been pre occupied with that but he's just turned up home again now, soaking wet and looking super proud of himself, assume he's been over the other side of Pomahaka river the wee bugger
    Attachment 184624
    Has he found a girlfriend over there? Or just something tasty, maybe still on the hoof?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    out to 100m i can shoot as well with open sights as a 4 power scope. you can take the front sight hood off when you shoot, its to protect the front sight when traveling?
    It's more to stop the sun glinting off the front sight post. It does also protect the sight from knocks which is extra important if it's driftable.

With a rear peep sight the front sight hood also forms a "ghost ring" that helps you quickly and instinctively place the front sight in the centre of the peephole, that way you can get good accuracy even with a large peephole, a real help in low light.
    zimmer, Micky Duck and Ben Waimata like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

When shooting with a rear aperture/diopter I never see the sight protector or the foresight tube (fullbore). All I see is the post or ring element.
    Cordite and Ben Waimata like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    When shooting with a rear aperture/diopter I never see the sight protector or the foresight tube (fullbore). All I see is the post or ring element.
    Yep, the tube/tube only forms a useful ghost ring if you use quite large / oversize aperture. There's no need for it when you precision shoot using a small target aperture.

This image is from a HK MP5 SMG, sadly not mine:

Name:  220px-Visierlinie.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  3.9 KB

Which brings up to other advantage of the ghost sight system - fast target acquisition.
    Last edited by Cordite; 30-11-2021 at 09:33 AM.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I mean you are not supposeed to shoot with the hood on. its only for travleing. i have a box of them i have taken off husvarnas and old winchesters etc. some of them are not even round.

@Ryan_Songhurst , more Sako peep sight pics to taunt you with!

Name:  20201220_203619.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  673.0 KB

Name:  20201220_203609.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  433.6 KB

Came with different aperture hole sizes too,

Name:  20210814_130100.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  939.8 KB

Shoots good, too good almost!

Name:  20210613_102054.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  3.26 MB

Did a whole thread on the UK forum about it, https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....sights.213636/
    NEGC (Nee England Gunsight Corp) have a good selection which also fit picatinny/weaver bases, all made in Germany for them by Recknagel. Good shit!
    zimmer and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

If only there was a nz machinist that could make something similar to the skinner sights for lever actions. Im sure quite a few people would be buying them considering the amount of Bush hunting here. I for one would love to get some sort of a peep sight for my henry 45-70. Low power scopes are good and all but they're also just another thing to get dirty/wet and they certainly don't make a rifle nicer to carry!