Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Please help - Just found out my gun be might be E-Cat...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve308 View Post
    Thanks for the input! I wanted to look into getting my e-Cat regardless, however I didn't think "hunting" was a legitimate reason.
    Hunting is now considered a reason to own. 3 gun club shoots or Commercial helecopter venison recovery (do they still do that??) are better reasons to own but with all the AR15`s that came into the country as A-Cat over the last few years and the Government wanting them listed as E-Cat the reason to own was shell we say relaxed a bit.
    Another bit a few miss is a Free standing pistol grip. Its not stated weither the grip is behind or in front of the trigger , So the boys with say a Saiga and a romainan foward grip are in all intense and purpose in posession of a E-Cat firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    Its not stated weither the grip is behind or in front of the trigger , So the boys with say a Saiga and a romainan foward grip are in all intense and purpose in posession of a E-Cat firearms.
    grip, in relation to a firearm, means a component of the firearm that (whether or not it is also designed to serve some other purpose or purposes) is designed to be gripped by the trigger hand of a person while the person is firing the firearm.
    grunzter, res and stretch like this.

My advice would not be to go to the police and say "do I have an illegal gun?". If your AO is a cunt things will go pear shaped really fast.
    dirtyhabit, Banana, stumpy and 1 others like this.

Please help - Just found out my gun be might be E-Cat...

Quickest way of getting legal would be to remove the barrel and action from the offending stock and have that stock stored on a different premises to your barrel and action. Then you can either go buy an a-cat stock and reassemble, or go through the process of upgrading your security to e-cat requirements, and apply for the endorsement.

It's not enough to disassemble your rifle and keep all the parts on hand. A disassembled e-cat firearm is still an e-cat.
    dirtyhabit and stumpy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Quickest way of getting legal would be to remove the barrel and action from the offending stock and have that stock stored on a different premises to your barrel and action. Then you can either go buy an a-cat stock and reassemble, or go through the process of upgrading your security to e-cat requirements, and apply for the endorsement.

It's not enough to disassemble your rifle and keep all the parts on hand. A disassembled e-cat firearm is still an e-cat.
    +1, and adding a rod isn't good enough either.

Thanks for the input! I wanted to look into getting my e-Cat regardless, however I didn't think "hunting" was a legitimate reason.
    it magically "became" a legit reason during the last stock "shambles"
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

The only legit "reason" you need per the legislation is "I want one & I'm fit and proper" but the police will probably deny you, knowing that you'd have to take them to court to appeal it (you'd probably win, but most people are intimidated by this which is exactly what the police want)
    P38 and gadgetman like this.

free-standing grip, in relation to a firearm, means a grip that... is (if any trigger guard is disregarded) structurally connected to the firearm at only one point

A rod from the stock to the grip would make two points.

Thanks guys. I've already removed the barrel/action from the stock, put the barrel/action back into the safe and have stored the stock elsewhere for now. Will discuss options with arms officer on Monday.

You don't have any options. You missed the boat with the pistol grip "Amnesty". The only option you have is to install your old stock and sell your current one. If you like you can get an E endorsement and then apply to get an endorsement for your rifle so you can use it with that stock. That is it really.

That's exactly what I meant by "options". I've discussed with the arms officer regarding getting my e-Cat. Would have been nice if they had sent out a letter to firearm owners when the amnesty was about, we're not all jacked into media...

That's exactly what I meant by "options". I've discussed with the arms officer regarding getting my e-Cat. Would have been nice if they had sent out a letter to firearm owners when the amnesty was about, we're not all jacked into media...
    You are assuming the Police actually knew who had licenses and where they lived to send the letter to!
    hanse and Steve308 like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.