Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree271Likes

Thread: Police at it again

@Jexla @GDMP

Was there not a supposed solution in sight from Police meeting with Firearms Advisory Group just this past Thursday?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    Wrong.Its already effecting small private imports....I have less than $100 of 'A' parts sitting in customs,not even action components,small private import.Was told I needed a permit,when I never have before.Some arms officers are releasing them,and some are not....which is why I am trying to find out how many other PRIVATE importers have experienced this.
    That's what I said, I even showed you the same happened to me last year....

"Personal imports won't be effected much until the police meet with customs and tell them to start enforcing this new policy.
    But every import is a risk..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    @Jexla @GDMP

Was there not a supposed solution in sight from Police meeting with Firearms Advisory Group just this past Thursday?

Ask COLFO lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    That's what I said, I even showed you the same happened to me last year....

"Personal imports won't be effected much until the police meet with customs and tell them to start enforcing this new policy.
    But every import is a risk..."

Ask COLFO lol
    Yay everyone loves a comedian. No time for them after the advice they gave us just to comply with AR15 polocy changes with thumbhole stocks and not rock the boat. They are more useless than a bag of hammers
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Yay everyone loves a comedian. No time for them after the advice they gave us just to comply with AR15 polocy changes with thumbhole stocks and not rock the boat. They are more useless than a bag of hammers
    But that law made guns wayyyyy safer. Everyone knows that pistol grips are evil
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    But that law made guns wayyyyy safer. Everyone knows that pistol grips are evil
    It was never about safety, it was about splitting a few off of the herd/divide and conquer.
    outdoorlad, mikee, Nick-D and 5 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

So I rang my AO today to see what the go was importing parts and no worries at all, he just confirmed the parts weren't for and e-cat, went through the list of prohibited parts then told me to go ahead and order it, said customs would hold it and just ring him when they have it to sort it out.

Maybe I have one of the good ones.
    199p and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
    So I rang my AO today to see what the go was importing parts and no worries at all, he just confirmed the parts weren't for and e-cat, went through the list of prohibited parts then told me to go ahead and order it, said customs would hold it and just ring him when they have it to sort it out.

Maybe I have one of the good ones.
    What are the prohibited parts?

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    What are the prohibited parts?

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Just the usual for an a-cat semi, no freestanding pistol grips, no collapsible stocks, no mags over 7rds, no flash hider... no different from before except might take longer to get with customs clearance...

Exactly.....you got a completely different answer to me.In my case it was any part requires permit,regard of whether its for A or E end use.......
    Checked out the permit, filled it out and printed it so it's there if I need it, attached photos of the rifle they're going on with a brief description for evidence theyre not going on an mssa. Doesn't really seem too hard to me..

Police approach to MSSA* classification remains unchanged
    [17 July 2018] In order to provide clarity for recent enquires we are reissuing the following information from mid-2017.

In response to recent information being circulated within the firearms community regarding the classification of A-category firearms – and in particular AR15 type semi-automatic firearms – Police confirms that the classification and rules regarding the importation of these weapons has not changed. (*MSSA, Military Style Semi-Automatic)

Specifically:

People can still continue to apply to import A-category firearms as they always have – no special reasons are required. This classification and its interpretation by Police has not changed, despite what has been circulated through social media.
    28,000 A-category firearms were imported into New Zealand in 2016 and these will continue to be imported in 2017 under the same classification rules.
    There has been no re-classification of AR15 type semi-automatic weapons nor has Police made any proposal – an individual or a dealer can still continue to apply to import these weapons. These continue to be treated as an either an A-category or an E-category firearm depending on the individual specifications of the firearm.
    The Arms Act has always required importer to obtain a permit to bring in “parts” of firearms to New Zealand and a special reason is required to import MSSA parts. To deliver on the intent of the Act Police needs to consider whether the application relates to a part of a MSSA or part of an A category firearm. Where it is possible that the part could be either for an A category or an E category firearm Police is required to seek further clarification about the intended use of the part.
    Police cannot change the classification of firearms by making an Order-in-Council. Any such proposal would need to be approved by Cabinet and be signed by the Governor-General
    Police continues to administer the Arms Act and remains committed to working with the firearms community to promote the safe use and management of firearms. Anyone with questions regarding Police’s approach to firearms licensing or management is encouraged to contact us directly or through the Firearms Community Advisory Forum.
    Police’s first priority remains the safe, secure and lawful use of firearms and effective administration of the Arms Act as part of our commitment to safer communities together.

Not sure if that's here somewhere or not but it clears up a few things.

I had the complete opposite today when I rang my AO - Turns out I need an import permit for a buffer spring, detents and magazine springs. What a joke.

Apparently this has been in the works for some months and is referred from "case law" and to stop "grey guns" being created out of MSSA parts.

Have they started implementing this policy on other semi autos now or are they solely targeting ARs?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    Have they started implementing this policy on other semi autos now or are they solely targeting ARs?
    Just AR's as far as I am aware

.I was required to give a special reason for importing some A cat AR parts when I applied several weeks ago.People are reading that statement and then thinking nothing has changed....but I can assure you that is not the case....
    We need this in writing. Then we have two conflicting statements in writing to make complaints with
    40mm likes this.

A special reason is required for my detents, buffer spring and magazine springs.