Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 3 Post By 30.06king
  • 2 Post By Bagheera
  • 4 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Bagheera

Thread: prices

prices

rather amusing the huge variation in prices around - new Sako S20 is it-trade me 270 and 308 in Wellington $2500 big chainstore we cant name $1000 dearer same rifle - bit suspicious about those Wellington ones - not that I am keen on one dont like that model at all - the earlier 308 delux on trade me more my thing but the price makes ya eyes water -close to $4000
    TimC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    rather amusing the huge variation in prices around - new Sako S20 is it-trade me 270 and 308 in Wellington $2500 big chainstore we cant name $1000 dearer same rifle - bit suspicious about those Wellington ones - not that I am keen on one dont like that model at all - the earlier 308 delux on trade me more my thing but the price makes ya eyes water -close to $4000
    I'm not in the market for anything new and have a couple of older model Sakos I really like. Bought in the days when I believe they were reasonably priced. Sako makes a very good rifle but methinks their current pricing levels are getting beyond reasonable for what they are. Maybe moreso our market than others. I'm sure it's connected to the current Beretta ownership. Also slowly happening with Tikka rifle pricing since they are part of Sako / Beretta.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and TimC like this.

I think there is a certain amount of exploratory pricing going on. Big box appliance stores and tramping shops do it all the time: bounce the price around and see how much sells at each point. Its happening with petrol too at the moment. No consumer can tell how much it really costs to make and distribute a product or whats a fair margin at any link in the supply chain.
    veitnamcam and Moa Hunter like this.

Asking prices and demand in NZ are fluctuating wildly due to uncertainties about post covid supply chain, leftover buyback money, inflation ( a novelty for many ) and the effect and future of registration.

Meanwhile there are global pressures or synergies in the US and European industries. Beretta for instance will be strategising over which civilian models will Be profitable to manufacture in Finland.

Whats a “fair price” is up for grabs and in my opinion this isn’t a time for buy once cry once.

Caretaker
    Theres always a time for buy once cry once

Cheap things are expensive when you have to replace them…………
    Bagheera, hotsoup, Kelton and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Theres always a time for buy once cry once

Cheap things are expensive when you have to replace them…………
    Amen

Yes very true. The most expensive buy is one you have to repeat buy later on. Always cheaper to buy once in quality.

But that saying is sometimes used to make people suspende their better judgement.

What I meant was “Dont pay more than you want to.” Its very possible the same good model or even a better one will be available cheaper after a couple of shipments have been snapped up by rich fellas.

On a different tack, its sad the only people who can afford top class gear are usually too old to make full use of it. A 20 year old hunter should start out with a sako his father buy a browning and grandad use the 303 - he xan get ghe best out of it. So an age based pricing would be ideal: $1000 per decade so the 20 yo can buy a sako 90 for $ two thousand and a bit depending on trimmings, a 40-something pays $4K+ and the 70 yo who will mostly have it as a safe qqueen pays full price at $7K.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

This Thread could broaden indefinitely but I would simply like to say that, while I like my Sakos and Kimbers and top-end Mausers etc., they haven't shot any straighter or more productively than my much cheaper Model 7s, Howa's and so on...

Like many things in life (think Wine), paying more for something doesn't guarantee higher performance or enjoyment.

I think the $1500 lightweight Howas, Savages, Bergaras and so on available these days are amazing, no doubt very reliable, rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelli View Post
    This Thread could broaden indefinitely but I would simply like to say that, while I like my Sakos and Kimbers and top-end Mausers etc., they haven't shot any straighter or more productively than my much cheaper Model 7s, Howa's and so on...

Like many things in life (think Wine), paying more for something doesn't guarantee higher performance or enjoyment.

I think the $1500 lightweight Howas, Savages, Bergaras and so on available these days are amazing, no doubt very reliable, rifles.
    .....if you are consuming cheap wine the hangover is worse for your head (albeit - it's better for your bank account )