Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 2 Post By Fssprecision

Thread: Protection for bare Aluminium Bottom Metal

Protection for bare Aluminium Bottom Metal

Seeking advice please.
    My M70 Win has PT&G one piece bottom metal of bare aluminium. It could be left as is but I'm thinking over time there is some possibility of oxidation / corrosion occurring. I don't know if I'm right or wrong about this. I'm looking for a very durable, cost-effective coating to protect the metal. I've looked at and ruled out cerracoat due to potential chipping and buildup. The bottom metal has a very snug fit into the stock inlet which I would rather not have to open to fit coated bottom metal. What other options are available ? One suggestion already is just aerosol spraying with polyurethane. I suspect this might be too thin and wear through in time but I am not knowledgeable enough to know. Is this in fact good advice or am I better looking at other ( superior ) treatments ?
    Thanks for any advice offered. Cheers.

Anodizing would be the way to go, unsure what that would cost.
    Otherwise I have used ceramic exhaust manifold paint which when used in conjunction with a suitable etch primer works pretty well.
    Unfortunately anything that you paint on is likely to wear over time but is it too much hassle to just re apply ?
    Cordite likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

If you use the rifle every day or two the handling will have the effect of polishing and keeping the bottom metal oiled.
    An aerosol clear zinc could also work, generally can throw spanners at that stuff when it's cured and wont chip off.
    Other than that anodizing would be the best long term.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Get it cerakoted or just paint it.
    Unlike steel bare alluminium wont corrode just from oil/sweat from your hands, it may get a little discoloured after a reasonable amount of use but you can polish it up like new if needed.

Treat it like stainless steel, so long as you aren't leaving water or cleaning chemicals on it an allowing it to "stew" bare ally will be fine.

Anodizing is by far the best protection for Aluminum, I have been using these guys for years and they do a great job.

https://anodising.co.nz/

There is a minimum charge of about $80 I think
    Beetroot and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Get it cerakoted or just paint it.
    Unlike steel bare alluminium wont corrode just from oil/sweat from your hands, it may get a little discoloured after a reasonable amount of use but you can polish it up like new if needed.

Treat it like stainless steel, so long as you aren't leaving water or cleaning chemicals on it an allowing it to "stew" bare ally will be fine.
    This. Pure aluminium is really stainless. Aluminium "aircraft" alloys corrode and need protection.

Real lightweight components are likelier aluminium alloys as pure aluminium is equal strength to mild steel strength weight for weight, only it does not corrode. Not sure how you can tell the difference, unless you nick it with a file and have a piece of pure aluminium for comparison.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch