Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fat ninja
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By carlhurley

Thread: pulsar xp28, any thoughts?

pulsar xp28, any thoughts?

I've been thinking about getting a thermal for farm use for ages, and been offered a used pulsar xp28. Any thoughts or experiences on this model?

Get the best quality you can afford, buy once cry once
    john m likes this.

if it's an XP it will have the bigger 640 sensor in it as opposed to the 384 sensor in the XQ models , which is as big and sensitive as they currently get so should be a good clear picture . Top shelf as it were .
    Have you had a look through it ?
    With so many brands now it really comes down to picture quality/sensitivity versus price/reliability and what you can afford .
    Pulsar are considered one of the best .
    born to hunt - forced to work

Banned
    How much does the seller want ?
    Have you used a thermal on your property before ? It may not be the thing for you because the tree trunks will show up and mask the animals if you are trying to find them in the trees
    Dusty Fog likes this.

I've had an xq 28 for 4 years and compared to newer units yes it's image is poor but that's due to the small sensor size. Still having used it for so long I have learned to pick up stuff that less familiar users with better equipment have initaly missed.
    I would like to upgrade but first I need to find someone to offload this on to.

Ben the lens and the sensor are all too small hard to see anything 38mm or 50mm is best
    Trout likes this.

A larger lens allows for greater optical magnification eg 4.1 compared to my XQ28fs 2.3 but the tradeoff is field of view, the higher magnification seriously reduces it, sort of like comparing binos with a mounted scope for scanning a face, the xp28 has the widest field of view 22 degrees and a base mag of 1.4 perfect for a quick scan and the digital zoom steps of 2.4 and 4.8 are small enough to still give good clarity for better id thanks to the 648x489 resolution.
    Bigger lenses give greater detection range but do you really need 1800 m of capability when 1000 is perfectly adequate considering you will be usually operating at way under that.
    If you don't want the unit I'm quite happy to grab it if it's priced right.😆😆😆