Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: Rangefinder mapping

Rangefinder mapping

Pretty impressed with the mapping function (it drop a marker on Basemap where you range) of the sig 5k Bdx. It wasn’t a factor in the purchasing decision and I also thought it was probably a gimmick, some reviews few years old also saying it wasn’t accurate… well it turns out it is bang on.

Won’t use it often but I do have few recoveries in mind where it would have helped a lot. Could help navigate to get closer to animal spotted in the distance too using topo map.

Now the bad: Basemap subscription cost 60bux a year. You still have to point your phone in the good direction as the rangefinder doesn’t have compass.

3 test and different distance ranging houses,
    Name:  IMG_7277.jpeg
Views: 220
Size:  585.4 KBName:  IMG_7275.jpeg
Views: 219
Size:  544.5 KBName:  IMG_7274.jpeg
Views: 216
Size:  502.1 KB

Is it like the swaro version are requires wifi or just Bluetooth? Looks good

Just Bluetooth it works offline as long as you downloaded the map

Awesome !

I always thought that a LRF could be useful when doing a resection. However the range is too short on most LRF.
    This one seems to have solved that problem.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

it does to work well. I will do some test in the hills see how it cope with elevation.

I have read some complain when use with the higher end Sig rangefinder which have an internal compass. It seems the internal compass in these pricey unit is on the piss...
    The 5K however rely on the smartphone compass. So I guess accuracy will depend of how good your phone compass is... pretty bang on with my Iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by tibo View Post
    it does to work well. I will do some test in the hills see how it cope with elevation.

I have read some complain when use with the higher end Sig rangefinder which have an internal compass. It seems the internal compass in these pricey unit is on the piss...
    The 5K however rely on the smartphone compass. So I guess accuracy will depend of how good your phone compass is... pretty bang on with my Iphone.
    Any electronic (or non-electronic for that matter) can be affected by external influences. Specifically anything metal not too mention the anomalies in earths own magnetic fields. Something to be aware of.
    Calibration is important in the area of use too.
    tibo likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.