Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Re-barrel Otago/Southland

Re-barrel Otago/Southland

Recommendations for having this done? Looking for a good job and fast turnaround. My previous experience with two different gunsmiths in Canterbury was that it takes 4 months to re-barrel a rifle and I can't really afford to be without it for long as it's my only centrefire. Cheers
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

rod
    Try desert guns Cromwell or custom guns invercargill.
    Gkp likes this.

Gkp
    Greg at Custom Guns does good work
    lau lau and Stocky like this.

mikee and Micky Duck like this.

I have found that Mark at 'Desert Guns' in Cromwell and Dan at 'Mountain Precision' in QT are by far the best. Both have great attention to detail, well experienced and quality work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Recommendations for having this done? Looking for a good job and fast turnaround. My previous experience with two different gunsmiths in Canterbury was that it takes 4 months to re-barrel a rifle and I can't really afford to be without it for long as it's my only centrefire. Cheers
    it takes less than a day to fit a barrel, just ask when your spot in line comes up and send/drop it off then

gunworks did a beautiful job on my sako, when I lived down there with a trueflight barrel

Ohoo @Ryan_Songhurst going back to the 270 dark side
    Micky Duck likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I have a brand new 270 barrel here if interested. It is a HOWA and it is threaded.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQT View Post
    I have found that Mark at 'Desert Guns' in Cromwell and Dan at 'Mountain Precision' in QT are by far the best. Both have great attention to detail, well experienced and quality work!
    Couldn't agree more! Mark and Dan are both fantastic with great attention to detail. very approachable. Just give either of them a call and talk through your needs. They are both hunters who will understand if you cant be without your rifle for long.
    JohnQT likes this.

Another vote for Mark and Mandy at desert guns. Mark is a good rooster and has done very good work for me.
    20 Bore likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Turns out I don't need to go this route anyhow... After originally deciding I didn't want a suppresor on my 243 I bought one of the new Neilson Sonic Compacts to go on my Tippman and it happened to be the same thread as my Kimber so I was doing all my load development with the suppressor on.... Couldn't for the life of me get the bloody thing to shoot anything at all, tried it without the suppresor and didn't have any luck so put it back on and kept trying all sorts of projectiles and powders and burnt through quite a few of my precious CCI200's before I took it to the local gunstore and asked them if they could see anything obviously wrong with it. Bore scoped it and nope he reckoned the lands were beautiful and crisp, nice rifling, crown looked good and no firecracking or anything. Then he had a look through my suppresor.... One of the baffles doesn't line up with the others and it's been striking a baffle the whole bloody time! Turns out it probably just didn't like the load I tried without the suppresor anyhow and the whole time it was suppressor causing issues. Worked up a load with superformance and 85gr Speer and 3300fps and tiny little groups just like that!
    Back to my original train of thought now, suppresors are dumb.
    Dreamer, stug, Bill999 and 3 others like this.
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Although... I still would like a 6.5x47 Montana...
    Bill999 and 25/08 IMP like this.
    10! has 270 divisors

Glad your sorted, I would have loved to offer assistance, but the transport between the two islands will take days.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    Baffle strike is not uncommon, but easily dealt with and corrected.Suppressors add weight, and sometimes length depending on how the rifle is set up to use one.....but they are a very useful accessory to the majority of hunters and shooters these days.Especially hard kicking and recoiling rifles......
    We had an undersized baffle in my dads suppressor that didn’t even contact the bullet but it still made it group like a shotgun
    10 seconds in the lathe and it was sorted but it wasted a few packets of bullets tracking down the problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Although... I still would like a 6.5x47 Montana...
    @Ryan_Songhurst I have a Model 70 stainless, in a Stug stock, fluted trueflight barrel 19” in 6.5x47L that I’ve been thinking of moving on?
    Dreamer, Mathias and csmiffy like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!