Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Reaching out a bit rifle thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    20” barrels do just fine in the short cases even shorter with the 300wsm
    Just put a round right on point through a deers boiler room at 450m with my 3.3kg 18” 260 this morning. My 20” 3.7kg 7mm SAUM does the same and my 3.6kg 21” rem mag before that never failed to accurately take deer out to 800 either. You don’t need a big heavy rifle to be accurate at extended hunting ranges.
    Tahr, Nick-D, chainsaw and 3 others like this.

I recently had the chance to shoot a 300 win mag for the first time and see what all the fuss was about. I've got a 308, and both rifles are tikka T3X superlites with DPT cans (magnum can on the magnum gun)
    To be bloody honest, for all that I've heard about magnums and recoil I thought it was quite tame. Another mates wood stocked sako 7mm08 without brake or suppressor on the other hand, boots me in the shoulder something fierce and I bloody hate it.
    If I wanted to do all my hunting beyond 4-500m, I'd be having a 300 win mag (or similar) for sure. Suppressed or braked, pick your poison.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    And that was wayyy back before rangefinders. So if we take the lowest height of a two-story house to be 4.7m (15.5ft), then that's about how high Brian would have been aiming above that 800yd deer
    (160gr Spitzer Accubond, BC-0.531, SD-0.283, 2650fps, zero @200yd).
    Yeah - said he got the shock of his life when it fell over.
    Probably stuck with me because its such an unlikely story, and the fact the bullet (whatever it was) still managed to do the job.

I do remember Laurie Kerr, one of the four NZ shooters who took the long range black powder trophy off the U.S. team a good few years back saying at one point their bullets were rising 80 feet above the line of sight - or maybe it was forty ......... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jt89 View Post
    I recently had the chance to shoot a 300 win mag for the first time and see what all the fuss was about. I've got a 308, and both rifles are tikka T3X superlites with DPT cans (magnum can on the magnum gun)
    To be bloody honest, for all that I've heard about magnums and recoil I thought it was quite tame. Another mates wood stocked sako 7mm08 without brake or suppressor on the other hand, boots me in the shoulder something fierce and I bloody hate it.
    If I wanted to do all my hunting beyond 4-500m, I'd be having a 300 win mag (or similar) for sure. Suppressed or braked, pick your poison.
    the hardest kick I have ever had was from an old 8x57 german mauser - the fact I was sitting with my back against an angle post did not help either - but I did nail the pig - plus rifle had been hanging in the cab of my dozer so likely had some crud down Barrell