Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Recent trends in firearm fashion

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Spending more time talking about hunting/shooting than actually hunting or shooting...
    best post

BUT actually - horse and carts my example = does the job but fukin average. id take the hilux any day, i feel the same about any improvements.

trends no id say evolution
    Addicted to gun powder

I like "trendy" and if I could afford. It would have heaps more hunting and fishing gear trendy or not
    rogers.270 likes this.

Take a look at hunting clothing : we probably have available some of the most comfortable hunting gear ever created.

The trend is those skin tight camo underwear ATM :-)

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I have gone for the stainless/synthetic because it is practical along with a suppressor. The suppressor is so nice on my sensitive ears.

Could add stock packs to the list though.
    Then you have to get a carbon fiber stock to offset the weight of the suppressor. This is how fashion trends form.

I am proud to announce that I own a suppressed AR15 with a carbon fiber fore end and a scope with a tacticool turret.

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    BUT actually - horse and carts my example = does the job but fukin average. id take the hilux any day, i feel the same about any improvements.

trends no id say evolution
    Depends on the individual example and suitability for purpose I think.

For example if you're spending say $500 on a scope for general hunting - you could read forums, see people showing off their LR rifles with large objective high magnification scopes and think thats obviously better than small scopes like people used to use, go down to the shop and buy a big heavy low/mid range 4-16 or 6-24x50 with unexceptional optics and big exposed target turrets that you accidentally bump in the bush and wonder why you keep missing.

Or you could decide that you don't need that much magnification for your normal hunting, and spend the same budget on a higher quality 'boring old' 3-9x40 with nicer glass, better low light performance etc.

Sometimes people think they're comparing a horse and cart with a hilux, when they're really comparing it to a steam train.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 19-10-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Actually the more I get back into shooting the less inclined I am to like my CDS and "Side focus" too many things to fuck around with.
    Seriously considering going back to a Non Side Focus / CDS
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Depends on the individual example and suitability for purpose I think.

For example if you're spending say $500 on a scope for general hunting - you could read forums, see people showing off their LR rifles with large objective high magnification scopes and think thats obviously better than small scopes like people used to use, go down to the shop and buy a big heavy low/mid range 4-16 or 6-24x50 with unexceptional optics and big exposed target turrets that you accidentally bump in the bush and wonder why you keep missing.

Or you could decide that you don't need that much magnification for your normal hunting, and spend the same budget on a higher quality 'boring old' 3-9x40 with nicer glass, better low light performance etc.

Sometimes people think they're comparing a horse and cart with a hilux, when they're really comparing it to a steam train.
    I call that piss poor research given the information out there on forums mags etc, probably dont shouldnt be a fire arm locence holder if you actively do reaserch and end up with crap by accident - id say the same re a builder turning upto a site first day
    Addicted to gun powder

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I take it you are still driving a Model T or living in a cave Massive ?
    No, I own a suppressed tikka T3, sadly without a carbon fiber stock (although I will fix that eventually) and a suppressed AR with carbon fiber fore end, CDS scope and see through polymer mags. I like to stay at the front of current trends lest anyone thinks I am unfashionable.

The t3 isn't in 7mm08 though, it's 30-06 which is very old fashioned.
    scottrods and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Then you have to get a carbon fiber stock to offset the weight of the suppressor. This is how fashion trends form.

I am proud to announce that I own a suppressed AR15 with a carbon fiber fore end and a scope with a tacticool turret.
    No, I like to carry a little extra weight. Helps push the cleats of my boots into the ground and stops me blowing away in the wind quite so much. Just need some weight around my middle to strap my trousers to.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    No, I like to carry a little extra weight. Helps push the cleats of my boots into the ground and stops me blowing away in the wind quite so much. Just need some weight around my middle to strap my trousers to.
    After you get that carbon stock buy a huge scope and bold on a bipod to get the weight back into the rifle.
    dirtyhabit likes this.

In the UK some things are popular because of the daft laws we have, 243 is normally the recomended deer legal calibre and all they will let most people have on their first firearms application, and its illegal to shoot deer after dark and using any artificial illumination so most people use scopes with a larger front end to make the most of that last little bit of daylight at dawn and dusk. Its quite interesting how laws and regulations often shape how we hunt and what we use.

Most of those things do have practical purpose. Synthetic stainless certainly can take a bit more abuse without rust or damaging your nice stock.
    Carbon stock can save a reasonable bit of weight.
    30mm scopes have more elevation for those who need it, as well as let in more light.
    Suppressors save your hearing.
    Bipods have their place for open country or when long range/varmints are the main target.
    The latest cartridges seem to be much more practical than the last generation which was full of Super Ultra long magnum rounds and Super Ultra short ones. Where as the likes of 6.5 creedmoor doesn't claim to be a Super Loudenboomer, but it does what it does efficently.

The fads I don't think are necessary are:
    Custom painted camo hunting rifles.
    Anything other than a picatinny rail for sights or a bipod.
    A hotrod cartridge in a short "bush pig" rifle (never understood why you would want a expensive flat shooting round in a ridle designed for 200m max).
    Fluting a bolt to save weight, yet put a 30mm or 34mm scope on the same rifle, or a stainless suppressor.
    I really dont like the latest fad of ladder reticles that allow you to use hold overs out to a 1000yards, yet is put on a scope with exposed turrets or cds turrets.
    dirtyhabit likes this.

Ladder reticle on a second focal plane scope is not my favorite either.
    I have a burris veracity with ffp and their balistic ladder reticle and quite like it.
    No chance of goofing if the magnification knob is not on the highest power.

it seems like the younger generations coming through mostly believe that big is best ,a lot of the fakebook groups I flick through all the young fellas talk about is large calibres

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhabit View Post
    Tikka T3s
    Tikka T3 in 7mm/08 there must be thousands of them in nz now
    dirtyhabit likes this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/