Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Recommendations for a folding knife for field dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    90 pingers for a mercator that can fold back on you if you arent careful is a bit rich.
    Don't get me wrong, great little knives but that is a fecking lot for a very basic knife.
    Pressed tin sides etc. Paying heaps for the blade
    Even local H&F only charge $60 from memory. Been using Mercator knives for 48 years and never had one play up apart from disappearing on me. I might be a bit cynical but people rabbit on about them folding back on them yet they’re probably happy to buy an Opinel or Peasant knife ffs.

Have to say I have had a few Mercator's, got a couple of brass bodied ones a while back for my sons. Do take a good edge and I remember my dad having a few in the 70's and 80's.

If you are after something a bit special how about a Buck 110 folder.

kiwijames, Micky Duck and Ned like this.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Even local H&F only charge $60 from memory. Been using Mercator knives for 48 years and never had one play up apart from disappearing on me. I might be a bit cynical but people rabbit on about them folding back on them yet they’re probably happy to buy an Opinel or Peasant knife ffs.
    Yea I think the last two genuine Mercator i bought from farmlands were $50 ish but that was about 2 years ago. I’m sure they could fold back but I’ve never had an issue, my old man used to run four in his pouch skinning possum lines full time.

I m using one of these at the moment:
    https://www.top-gear.co.nz/shop/SHOP...e+-+20NPJ.html

But I am going to grind the back of the tip of the blade into a slight drop point .
    What I like about it is the scandi grind. You just have to lay the edge flat against a stone and you never get your angle wrong.
    Grey Kiwi, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Svord peasant knives are pretty good bang for buck, plus they come in fluro colors, lost a few black or wood knives over the years or left on a rock.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Have to say I have had a few Mercator's, got a couple of brass bodied ones a while back for my sons. Do take a good edge and I remember my dad having a few in the 70's and 80's.

If you are after something a bit special how about a Buck 110 folder.

As much as I have zero love for the 110 you can't fault American service. I saw a post on another site where someone sent his grandfather's 110 back to buck and they cleaned and serviced it till it looked near new and return it free of charge. A lot like Leupold stories you hear.

Buck appear to have turned a corner on quality and there are actually some better 110 knives being recently released.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    As much as I have zero love for the 110 you can't fault American service. I saw a post on another site where someone sent his grandfather's 110 back to buck and they cleaned and serviced it till it looked near new and return it free of charge. A lot like Leupold stories you hear.

Buck appear to have turned a corner on quality and there are actually some better 110 knives being recently released.
    I have just started using my 110 that has been sitting in cupboard years after winning it in a comp, it has replaces my mercator for gutting roos and goats as it has a sharp point and makes it quicker, when you are doing 50 plus a night a few seconds here and there can make a difference. Cant fault the thing yet.

the cheap as chips chinese knockoffs of the buck110 are great if plurry heavy..the yhave been around forever and dont give issues if you keep the locking notch clean,same for any locking folder really.
    svord peasant is a good knife,the larger version is easier for serious work but I have dressed out a sheep just because I could and a deer because I had no other option,with the smaller version.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

My old mate was a great welder...and we worked with a guy who was a blacksmith by trade (he made ornamental gates too. All nicely 'hammer welded' of course).
    Plus he made a few Damascus pattern steel knives.
    So, me old mate took a cheap Chinese 'Buck', removed the blade and 'attacked' it with an angle grinder.
    Put in lots of deep cuts, swirls, etc (you can see where this is going?).
    Then Tigged the ground out bits to fill them in again.
    A nice flat grind all over then a polish. Voila...instant 'Damascus' pattern.
    Put the knife together again and brought it to work. Showed our blacksmith mate who said that was a lovely job for a first ever go at making Damascus steel blades.
    He was finally (eventually) told the true story.
    Somehow he thought me old mate had cheated!
    It did look lovely though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Kiwi View Post
    My old mate was a great welder...and we worked with a guy who was a blacksmith by trade (he made ornamental gates too. All nicely 'hammer welded' of course).
    Plus he made a few Damascus pattern steel knives.
    So, me old mate took a cheap Chinese 'Buck', removed the blade and 'attacked' it with an angle grinder.
    Put in lots of deep cuts, swirls, etc (you can see where this is going?).
    Then Tigged the ground out bits to fill them in again.
    A nice flat grind all over then a polish. Voila...instant 'Damascus' pattern.
    Put the knife together again and brought it to work. Showed our blacksmith mate who said that was a lovely job for a first ever go at making Damascus steel blades.
    He was finally (eventually) told the true story.
    Somehow he thought me old mate had cheated!
    It did look lovely though.
    That knife would have been as soft as butter after all the tig heat and grinding

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    That knife would have been as soft as butter after all the tig heat and grinding
    Probably was...but that wasn't the point of the exercise.
    My old mate just wanted to make a pretty blade to show the blacksmith guy.
    It worked...he fooled the blacksmith into thinking that it really was a proper Damascus pattern steel blade.
    Certainly did look sweet!
    Nick-D likes this.

I have been using one of the newer Buck 112 lite folders. Still feels incredibly sturdy for how light it is and it comes in a blaze orange (ugly but practical). The edge is holding very well, I’m impressed.

Depends on how much you want to spend.
    I really wanted a Benchmade Bugout, but went with a cheaper option of the Civivi Elementum
    Really like the Civivi, has D2 steel which is pretty good. An excellent small knife, the flipper tab opening is pretty awesome as well.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy Six View Post
    I really wanted a Benchmade Bugout, but went with a cheaper option of the Civivi Elementum
    Really like the Civivi, has D2 steel which is pretty good. An excellent small knife, the flipper tab opening is pretty awesome as well.
    Yeah good knives. For hunting an elementum in 14c28n would be pretty hard to beat value for $ wise.

The bearing mech flippers are a bit prone to gunking and binding tho which would be the main downside
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy Six View Post
    My son has a Civivi which I had a look at a while ago. Very nice knife. Sub brand of WE I believe, as is Sencut. Anyway, only a few days until I can open my birthday present. I will post a photo once it is in use.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.