Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Recommendations wanted on 357Mag Lever Action

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    My Rossi 44mag didn't seem to bad for a steel butt plate but the 357 marlin csbl feels like a 22 with the rubber pad.
    Much better action on the Marlin as well , in both use and disassembly .
    The csbl is quite a bit heavier than the barrel band versions as well. Not as small or sleek.
    If by some miracle I ever find a cheap 1894 I would seriously consider adding that to the safe.
    Other than a 22 Marlin, I've avoided them. I bought a 336 in 30-30 a few years ago and it had a trigger that flopped around ( front to back) with no resistance in the first stage. The bloke I took it to in Napier said that they all do that. Felt terrible. Do they all do that..?

All of ours do but never really found it a problem . You can get aftermarket triggers with a lighter pull and extra spring to remove the flop but haven't really found the need . Did look at getting one at one point but they were out of stock at the time and never bothered since. Just don't really notice it . In fact I just had to check all 3 rifles to see if they did it cocked , so that's how little I notice it during use...
    outlander likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    kanye ?
    100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    All of ours do but never really found it a problem . You can get aftermarket triggers with a lighter pull and extra spring to remove the flop but haven't really found the need . Did look at getting one at one point but they were out of stock at the time and never bothered since. Just don't really notice it . In fact I just had to check all 3 rifles to see if they did it cocked , so that's how little I notice it during use...
    Thanks for that. Taken me 22 years to find that out. Dead set hermit that I am.
    Ftx325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirch View Post
    I've got a rossi, 100m is a loooooong way away with it. Probably just doesn't get used enough.
    Yeah, if you don't use them often, they become lazy and unfit. Best to exercise them a tad before long shots, it stresses the barrel and can develop hairline cracks near the muzzle. Poke the end of the barrel into a bowl of talc powder/ diesel. Brings out the cracks to be seen as clear as day.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Wonder if it has the steel butt plate. The 44 mag is bad medicine enough for an old shoulder.
    Brutal....and most guys end up moving them on
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Other than a 22 Marlin, I've avoided them. I bought a 336 in 30-30 a few years ago and it had a trigger that flopped around ( front to back) with no resistance in the first stage. The bloke I took it to in Napier said that they all do that. Felt terrible. Do they all do that..?
    No not all. They did go through a rough patch when they changes hands but the recently produced ones are high quality

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    No not all. They did go through a rough patch when they changes hands but the recently produced ones are high quality
    I have a jm 30/30 xlr and 2 modern sbl's , 45/70 and 357 , and they all do the flop thing but you generally need to wiggle it with your fingers for it to be obvious , when cocked , which us why I haven't found it to be a problem. But they do have flop.
    And I don't find the 44mag recoil with steel butt plate to be any worse than the average 308 with hard rubber , but I do like big bores and perhaps aren't overly sensitive to recoil
    I like a bit of kick , lets you know you're alive...
    shooternz likes this.

I have no experience with Rossi (yet)
    My marlin 336 Texan in 30 30 is accurate
    and the trigger is crisp for a lever.
    No where near as much slop as my Win 94.
    My blr is off right now getting her trigger worked.

[QUOTE=GSP HUNTER;1116756]I have no experience with Rossi (yet)
    My blr is off right now getting her trigger worked.[/QUOTE]

A report on before and after would be very much appreciated.
    Dago likes this.

My old early 90s rossi 357 carbine is a great little gun
    Earlier the better for the rossi.
    GSP HUNTER and outlander like this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Got a 1985 Rossi in 44/40.
    Reasonably accurate with handloads
    Does have a tang rear sight.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

[QUOTE=Got-ya;1116857]
    Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    I have no experience with Rossi (yet)
    My blr is off right now getting her trigger worked.[/QUOTE]

A report on before and after would be very much appreciated.
    Will definitely do an update. I'm hopeful it's going to improve it..
    Steve123, Micky Duck and Got-ya like this.

mine the extractor was so strong it wouldn't slip over the lip on the round when trying to chamber a round unless you went at it like a silver back gorilla, and would take huge chunks out of the brass . Easily fixed by stripping and removing extractor and carefully grinding down in the thinner section and taking around 1/4 to a third of the thickness out as they are well over sprung. The trick is to do it gently and not getting any heat into the spring or it will loose it's temper . just a gentle swipe , give it a second , another gentle swipe and so on . A bit time consuming but after doing that and polishing all the surfaces everywhere else and making sure bolt slide surfaces are smooth and even , after putting it back together with a few dabs of good quality grease it was a pleasure to work the action and no more buggered brass. Still threw the brass meters away on extraction ...... Hard to believe it was the same rifle.
    GSP HUNTER and Micky Duck like this.

That explaina a lot about the sights. I had to take the elevator for the rear sight completely to get it to hit point of aim at a hundy. @Ftx325 I got a spring kit out of aussie and it made a huge difference to mine. It never damaged brass but by crikey it threw them a mile away.
    Now apart from being lighter, the cases are almost at your feet