Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Reloading .243, tricks, tips and advice

Reloading .243, tricks, tips and advice

Hey fellas,

I recently bought a tikka .243 superlite and after a day at the range with 7 various boxes of factory ammo, I found some very interesting results.

Firstly, the rifle preformed best with the Hornady Precision Hunter 90gr ELDx (.75MOA). But interestingly it did not like the Sako 90gr GameHead pro (tipped game kings) giving 2” string. Everything else was mediocre, giving me 1” to 2” groups. This was a mix of federal, Norma, Sako and Hornady.

Secondly, the rifle heated up extremely fast!! Within 3 shots it was HOT! Is that normal?

My goal is to reload for it and after the range day, I’m thinking 90gr Hornady projectiles might give the best results. I do a reasonable amount of goat culling out to 350/400 meters and knocking over the occasional fellow.

Does anyone have any suggestions on projectiles, powders and primers that would be suitable for this rifle and the type of hunting?

Especially any experience with a superlite .243 and the recipe for success with it would be ace!!

Cheers,

Gone but not forgotten
    My Brno likes the 90gr ELD-X, I load with AR2209, Fed 210 primers and Norma brass, 3140 fps.
    The Sierra Gameking 85gr HPBT and Prohunter 100gr SP also shoot well, as does the 87gr Hornady varmint, but the ELD-X is my favourite.
    JohnQT likes this.

My T3 shot very well with both 87gr Hornady Vmax and 90gr Nosler BT pushed by AR2209.
    JohnQT likes this.

set up your seating die with the factory load that did best...it wont hurt and SHOULD give you SIMILAR jump to lands if projectile is similar shape.
    you have a superlight rifle......it was MANUFACTURED to shoot few rounds at a time...weight Vs accuracy......accept it and live with it...you now KNOW it heats up quickly and 2-3 shots is it before it will open up groups.....its not a deal breaker.
    if federal blue box WASNT shooting well,personally I would be looking hard at technique and double check all screws including the scope bases themselves.
    maybe try a couple of loads at each end of range eg start load and hot load....we dont want to waste what few components we have left chasing tail.
    take suppressor off between groups and leave bolt open to help cooling down.
    rewa, JohnQT and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    set up your seating die with the factory load that did best...it wont hurt and SHOULD give you SIMILAR jump to lands if projectile is similar shape.
    you have a superlight rifle......it was MANUFACTURED to shoot few rounds at a time...weight Vs accuracy......accept it and live with it...you now KNOW it heats up quickly and 2-3 shots is it before it will open up groups.....its not a deal breaker.
    if federal blue box WASNT shooting well,personally I would be looking hard at technique and double check all screws including the scope bases themselves.
    maybe try a couple of loads at each end of range eg start load and hot load....we dont want to waste what few components we have left chasing tail.
    take suppressor off between groups and leave bolt open to help cooling down.
    Federal fusions shot just under an inch and the blue box shot around 1.5”.
    As you say, maybe I’m expecting too much from a lightweight rifle.

Good call regarding the load development. I have read a bit about the Speer 85gr soft point boat tail and varget. So I might try that combo as 2209 seems to be impossible to find

speer spbt will be super soft...ideal goat medicine....any thing from yellown black boxes are great projectiles.....
    MOST EVERY .243 I have ever had anything to do with...are tack drivers....there is just something about the cartridge that works.
    most arent fussy....and as Ive said elsewhere,how far are you going to shoot??? 1.5 inches at 100yards=300 yards is still a very dead animal.
    sometimes I reckon we get all tied up in knots over something that for 90% of shots wont matter a hoot. I know for myself,anytime I miss its because I fluffed the aiming bit,nothing to do with the rifle or ammunition.

if I read your origonal post correctly...400 meters will pretty much be your longest shot......so lets say you have 5 shots at 400 and 25 at under 300 for your day out...........so you only need flashasmichaeljackson loads for the 5 long ones,and any of the above other options would do "just fine n dandy peas n carrots"
    JohnQT likes this.

I've had very good results in my Tikka with 90g ELDX behind 2209 (Norma brass, CCI primers). Also run the same load with 90g Nosler BTs shooting same point of impact. Both have been very effective on deer out to 350m, goats a bit further out.
    JohnQT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQT View Post
    the rifle heated up extremely fast!! Within 3 shots it was HOT! Is that normal?

Does anyone have any suggestions on projectiles, powders and primers that would be suitable for this rifle and the type of hunting?

Especially any experience with a superlite .243 and the recipe for success with it would be ace!!

Cheers,
    1. Yes, very normal. 40-50gr of powder being blown down a 6mm bore on a skinny "superlite" barrel... That's lots of heat and not a lot of steel to distribute it.

2. More importantly, what can you get right now? Components are scarce. Good news is goats and fallow don't take much putting down so as long as you pick a hunting bullet and not an FMJ or a HPBT it's probably going to work plenty good. There's lots of load data online which is real easy to find and follow.

3. You don't need to follow anyone else's recipe. More often than not, it's a waste of time since no two rifles are alike and odds are even two Tikka 243 superlite's will like different things.

Get yourself some brass of at least reasonable quality, whatever large rifle primers you have / can get, powder with a suitable burn rate (2209, 2213, 2217), soft points or a ballistic tips. Load up a few test groups from low to max and see which shoots best. If nothing is acceptable and you're not sure how to interpret the results, ask for help to adjust and refine.
    Micky Duck and JohnQT like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

GWH
    If you are just culling goats, and not worried about the mess, the 87gr Vmax is absolutely devasting on them, they even kill very well right out to your furthest indicated distance.

I've found them to shoot very small little groups (like any bullet you'll need to find the seating depth your barrel likes of course)

Put one of them in the vitals and they do not take a step, it's like a bomb going off in there. Put a slit in the brisket and just pour the insides out.
    JohnQT likes this.

Thanks for the advice everyone involved.

Given that the Hornady Precision Hunter preformed the best out of the factory ammo, would it be fair to assume that setting the seating depth die to the same OAL as the precision hunter loads could be a good option to start with length? Even with a Speer SPBT that is 85gr (not 90gr as the eldx).

The 87g Vmax sounds absolutely devastating! Gutted that I cant find any around these parts. (pun fully intended).

I think I'll give the Speer 85gr SPBT a go and see how it reacts.

Given that ADI powders have disappeared across the country, does anyone have nay suggestions on other options? I have seen some Hodgdon Varget and 414 about

Yes they get hot. My little Sav 99 in 243 I shoot is too hot to touch after 5 shoots so I don't do that as I can only imagine the lose of barrel life that causes. (Silencer may contribute to retaining heat as well.)

Goats and Fallow then 70-90gr bullets. I have had very good success with the Berger 87gr VLD hunter. The Sierra 85gr Game king is a great bullet.
    My Dad had a lot of success using either 75gr Hp or the Hornady 87gr which is a varmint /medium game bullet.
    Z
    As noted above the 243 is not normally picky to load for unless you start playing with the long VLD type bullets.

And for deer and goats to 300 mtr then 2" groups are fine.
    It's a lot to expect a light factory rifle to shot sub 1" groups outside of a vice and cooling between shots.
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 06-12-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    Micky Duck, rewa and JohnQT like this.

RL17, RL16, Superformance - all worth a look.
    JohnQT likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Varget is AR2208 repackaged.
    There is a shipment of ADI powder due this month.
    JohnQT likes this.

GWH
    H 414 works awesome with 85-87gr bullets
    ZQLewis and JohnQT like this.