Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Remington .300wsm into what?

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    Hmmm
    6.5 with 130vld at 3250 has 1150lbs hitting power, more then enough

How much over kill do you need? That will be a light gun, needing no brake or suppressor, that won't beat you up and be half the price of a 338 to run

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Are you sure about that data? I ran that load with that speed in my 6.5 saum and it wasn't that much power.
    The 6.5 saum is not really a 800m capable gun on live animals. Each two there own I suppose,
    I wouldn't shoot an animal at over 700yrds with my 7/375 just my self imposed limit still has 1700lbs at that range.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Are you sure about that data? I ran that load with that speed in my 6.5 saum and it wasn't that much power.
    The 6.5 saum is not really a 800m capable gun on live animals. Each two there own I suppose,
    I wouldn't shoot an animal at over 700yrds with my 7/375 just my self imposed limit still has 1700lbs at that range.
    So who shot that deer at 1060 yards with the 375? Or have I got that wrong

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

each to their own, 1700lbs means most calibers are only suited to less than 200m

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    So who shot that deer at 1060 yards with the 375? Or have I got that wrong

375 Terminator mate got the deer, more push at 1000yards than the 6.5 at point blank,
    but as Bill999 says energy has little two do with it.
    I'm just saying I sure wouldn't recommend the 6.5saum for LR work, particularly in any wind
    Out two 500 tops then id say for sure try one.

Banned
    375 Terminator mate, more push at 1000yards than the 6.5 at point blank,
    but as Bill999 says energy has little two do with it.
    I'm just saying I sure wouldn't recommend the 6.5saum for LR work.
    Out two 500 tops then id say for sure try one.
    I can't keep up with the numbers!. I can kill deer from 3000 yards with the 260ai...........I just walk the projectile 2600 yards first

Keep it as a 300WSM. You shouldn't have any issues with a well place shot at 800 yards. Just put it on a solid, bedded action stock and hold on tight and enjoy the ride.

Hitting hare at 700 with my 270WSM and Chamois at over that. Bang......flop!

Spanners and Dundee like this.

Nah, bugger it; 7mm Dakota or 338-375!

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    You are selling yourself way short with that 7mm limit I reckon, but as you say, each to their own... The last big bull Tahr I shot was over 700 yards, through the crease (so didn't break shoulders/legs) and it dropped on the spot. I have seen big bulls soak up some serious fire power if they aren't hit right... Jumping up in projectile size (calibre & weight) does give you a bit more leeway, but it definitely doesn't substitute for poorly placed shots as a result of thinking bigger is better and/or the resulting flinch that can be induced by big hitters ( insert here... if you have a Terminator T something brake...)

(This is in no way aimed at you BRADS, just my general thoughts on people believing that you need to go to a 338 or bigger inside of 1km, remembering I have had a big 338 )
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    You are selling yourself way short with that 7mm limit I reckon, but as you say, each to their own... The last big bull Tahr I shot was over 700 yards, through the crease (so didn't break shoulders/legs) and it dropped on the spot. I have seen big bulls soak up some serious fire power if they aren't hit right... Jumping up in projectile size (calibre & weight) does give you a bit more leeway, but it definitely doesn't substitute for poorly placed shots as a result of thinking bigger is better and/or the resulting flinch that can be induced by big hitters ( insert here... if you have a Terminator T something brake...)

(This is in no way aimed at you BRADS, just my general thoughts on people believing that you need to go to a 338 or bigger inside of 1km, remembering I have had a big 338 )
    Yes I here what your saying,
    I should of said I'm only competent in my ability at 700 two cleanly kill a deer with the 7mm and throw some wind I'm reaching for something bigger
    Still really don't consider a 6.5 saum a 800m gun just my opinion
    If you win the auction your bidding on how far would you stretch it?

So i am considering just a re barrel on the .300wsm and sorting a reliable round for it and maybe sell the weaver tac on it and get something with a slightly larger magnification.
    I have also just had an offer of a 7mm STW to try so i will as it may be for sale next year, does anyone have any experience on the 7mm STW? would love to hear pros and cons on them.