Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Remington 700 Sako and M16 extractor conversions

R93
    Personally I think the oehler system is really of use to someone that designs new cartridges and needs a start and finish point. Whether accurate or not it will give a guideline.
    As a reloader, a caliper, micrometer and case life is as good a guide as your going to get when using a known cartridge. Its all most of us have and seems to work.

If your blowing extractors whether pinned or not, something has got to be wrong with the fitting or load.
    I fail to see a problem with either one if fitted correctly.
    Had a sako one on my .264wm and it is still going strong after 15 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    So how is your method able to be calibrated Spanners? Thats all I'm trying to work out. Using brass and primer signs? In what way?
    There is no calibration as there is nothing to calibrate it to.
    You're not getting a pressure number.
    I spose you could say the test piece in the micrometer box checks its calibration.

You're either missing the point, or ignoring it and trying to have a go

So your using casehead expansion? Not having a go, just curious as to how others achieve their max loads.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    In combination with others yes.. I've given up a long time ago on super max loads - if the load shoots sweet, and there is acceptable speed then that'll do.
    Whats 1/2-3/4 MOA more to dial at 1000yds?

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    As far as Im aware no one has been injured by a Dan can let alone killed.
    Ask Phil for details on this issue and you might change your impression of how safe and cool it is to be a "beta tester" for some of our NZ gunsmiths

Most experienced machinists have the ability to say "thats about right" and it usually is! very few of them have the facilities or are willing to spend the money to prove that this is the case. If you are calling someone out about their claims then you had better be able to back up your own no? In the absense of multiple bolts tested to failure with the case in question and or many cycles and or decent modelling of the situation you have... well.... nothing but a guess. As with the Dan Cans, as these things reach the end of their fatigue life and start to fail who knows what could happen and crucially who knows when that point will be reached.

Dont get me wrong - as I stated before I dont actually disagree with Greg on the extractor issue: I'm sure its "probably fine"

Paying advertisers? If you are still seeing adverts on the web you are doing something wrong

Man, away from the computer for a few days hunting and you guys have got carried away!
    Anyway, just to try and answer a few things that have been said. Cyclist, I never pushed one extractor conversion system over the other, just put the pro and cons as we’ve seen them out for guys to make their own minds up. As I said we use both. That was in response to KG claiming the M16 was safer with the Lapua magnum case than the Sako.

Tussock, I never named the gauges, that is what Ken Oehler calls them, and what they are sold as. You may well be correct, but not for me to say. And the gauge is attached to the barrel parallel, not the action. Most barrel makers, or at least the ones we deal with take their 416 barrel steel to the same Rockwell hardness. In our experience it is more consistent than the brass case, whose hardness varies considerably between brands. We were talking about this brass hardness variability making it very difficult to read pressure signs off brass alone, not how the brass variability affects the Oehler pressure readings.
    And I still can’t follow what you’re saying about Sako and Tikka extractors?

Using the Oehler has shown clearly the difference between at what relative pressure various brands of brass exhibit recognisable pressure signs, even if you don’t believe that the pressures themselves are exactly precise, the comparison certainly is. This has clearly shown to us how dangerous it is to load till you see conventional pressure signs with Lapua Magnum brass in particular, and Jameson Cheytac brass is just as bad amongst others. The brass is the weakest link for a one off firing, but if you’re firing repeated loads that are trashing Lapua mag cases in a firing or 2, then the fatigue on your barrel/action may well end up being the weakest link over time, as you’re replacing cases but not the barreled action.

As I can’t even remember who said it now said, by observing the common pressure signs and comparing it to the Oehler readings, we have learned a lot and to trust our results. No one that I have seen is saying they are exact to the last 1000 psi, but they are certainly close enough to know you’re around 60,000psi give or take a few 1000 psi at worst, and not over 70,000 or 80,000. Ken Oehler’s own comments support this, and I haven’t seen anyone believable disagree with him. We have spent a lot of time mucking round with the variables and seeing which ones are important, and which ones have little effect. The small variance in brass yield between brands has little effect on the pressure, no doubt due to the relatively small thickness of brass compared to chamber wall thickness.

Anyway, I’m still waiting for someone to convince me they have a better handle on pressure with their system than we do with our combination of Oehler, experience with different brass across many different factory and wildcat cartridges, and basic common sense. I have an open mind, and will listen and respond to reasoned debate…

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    Ask Phil for details on this issue and you might change your impression of how safe and cool it is to be a "beta tester" for some of our NZ gunsmiths

Most experienced machinists have the ability to say "thats about right" and it usually is! very few of them have the facilities or are willing to spend the money to prove that this is the case. If you are calling someone out about their claims then you had better be able to back up your own no? In the absense of multiple bolts tested to failure with the case in question and or many cycles and or decent modelling of the situation you have... well.... nothing but a guess. As with the Dan Cans, as these things reach the end of their fatigue life and start to fail who knows what could happen and crucially who knows when that point will be reached.

Dont get me wrong - as I stated before I dont actually disagree with Greg on the extractor issue: I'm sure its "probably fine"

Paying advertisers? If you are still seeing adverts on the web you are doing something wrong
    I'm well aware of the poping cans in a few makes, including a very popular model from down south, Iv had 3 different types go but what where Phills injuries?
    Being a beta tester for gunsmiths ? maybe but its a long boring life if everything is 100% perfectly safe at every turn, any progress in development would be overly expensive and very slow. Think where we'd be without a few risk takers . Probably just a different philosophy on living life eh?
    Yes I'm still seeing adds on this forum because they are supporting the forum so Ill support them,I'm not looking for a free lunch
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    what where Phills injuries?
    From memory: the can went down-range, and the powder blow-back screwed the front objective lens on his scope. Think he was ok because he had glasses on?

-someone will remember, and might still have the picyures that went up.