Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Remington 700LR S/S in 300 Winchester magnum

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    I was surprised to see how much difference the suppressor made, biggest improvement by far. The recrown looked like a small gain at best. I have moved to doing all load dev without suppressor or brakes to avoid excessive carbon build up and get down to 0.3 - 0.6 Moa in pretty much all cases, even with some light weight rigs (6 lbs bare rifle).
    then fine tune final load with suppressor for poi. Have not noticed a big improvement in groupings l guess I must have developed a fair degree of recoil tolerance
    I have a good target showing suppressed (and chrony attached) vs non suppressed on same rifle with same load but I don't want to clutter up the thread or drag it off on a tangent.
    I am watching this thread with interest, are you intending to also true the action?? @Dr. Watson
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Hey Doc, cool video series. Couple of questions, and forgive me if they have already been answered within the thread. What powder are you using for the load? Also, whats with the shooting done in the dark? Is that just due to time constraints or are you purposely wanting to shoot it in the dark/cold?
    Dr. Watson likes this.

I would guess it's mainly due to time constraints. The targets are well lit up and it's also pretty still at that time of night too. Also it looks cool?

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    I was surprised to see how much difference the suppressor made, biggest improvement by far. The recrown looked like a small gain at best. I have moved to doing all load dev without suppressor or brakes to avoid excessive carbon build up and get down to 0.3 - 0.6 Moa in pretty much all cases, even with some light weight rigs (6 lbs bare rifle).
    then fine tune final load with suppressor for poi. Have not noticed a big improvement in groupings l guess I must have developed a fair degree of recoil tolerance
    if I get the projectile I want, going the speed I want, seated at a depth that runs right out of the mag and shoots like this...

Name:  IMG_0085.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  489.7 KB

Generally from here all I'll keep an eye on is fauling and retained accuracy- I will only go back to the drawing board if one of those becomes a problem.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Hey Doc, cool video series. Couple of questions, and forgive me if they have already been answered within the thread. What powder are you using for the load? Also, whats with the shooting done in the dark? Is that just due to time constraints or are you purposely wanting to shoot it in the dark/cold?

Na man ask away - the powder is R17

As for why the dark - I start at 630 and work in an office 9 hours a day - in winter it's pretty much always dark by the time I'm done.

So I just started to shoot at night - it's actually kinda nice.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Maybe a video showing the effects of 190 Berger @3050 on possum?

Thanks for taking the time to make the video and posting dr.......

Would you expect similar accuracy results if you used a muzzle brake as opposed to the suppressor???

Quote Originally Posted by matagouri View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to make the video and posting dr.......

Would you expect similar accuracy results if you used a muzzle brake as opposed to the suppressor???
    An excellent question - we will do that in part 5 so you can decide for yourself!!

Sweet, whens it out? tonight?
    Dr. Watson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    That can looks the biz, what does it weight?

Ha ha my mate rides FMX and plugs that jerky all the time
    I have one of those cans, turned up tonight with my new 300wm - the first thing I did was weigh it = 352 grams
    Gibo likes this.

One test you could try next is doing a small glue in bedding to see if it improve things.

If the gun was not shooting that well the following could be done:
    it is taking the barrel off, checking contact between bolt lugs and action lug and lapping /trueing if necessary, truing front face of receiver, fitting a thicker recoil lug like a holland or pacific tool and gauge, refitting barrel and adjusting headspace.

Shooting the gun again and see what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    One test you could try next is doing a small glue in bedding to see if it improve things.

If the gun was not shooting that well the following could be done:
    it is taking the barrel off, checking contact between bolt lugs and action lug and lapping /trueing if necessary, truing front face of receiver, fitting a thicker recoil lug like a holland or pacific tool and gauge, refitting barrel and adjusting headspace.

Shooting the gun again and see what it does.
    Leave him to his test bro, its more of a bolt on away you go mod test
    blake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Leave him to his test bro, its more of a bolt on away you go mod test

Indeed - in saying that if it didn't Shoot then we would start looking at bedding and other methods of trouble shooting

But we can't solve problems that don't exist...
    Last edited by Dr. Watson; 20-07-2017 at 09:32 AM.

is all the shooting going to be done off a bipod in field conditions . . be interesting if you could get a solid bench with sandbags to shoot off.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Three shots touching would do me. I would stop now and go hunting. Surely the law of diminishing returns will apply pretty soon?
    KiwiinSeattle and Huk like this.