Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NewbieZAR

Thread: Remington 788 question

Remington 788 question

Hey team.
    I have been wanting the above for some time. One popped up on TM in .222 with a bung barrel.
    I’m seriously considering getting it and having it rebarreled to .223 (cheaper ammo)
    Will a Remington 700 barrel work? Fitted by my local gunsmith of course. Just wondering if I could find a half decent second hand barrel and make a decent shooter out of it for my wallabies and goats.
    I know mags are limited capacity and I imagine will be hard to find replacements or spares, but be something cool about knocking over beasties with an older rifle.
    I would have to sell my current .223 to fund the project, but it seems like a bit of fun

Appreciate your thoughts.

That would be a great rifle. Wouldnt be a bad project at all.
    Tried a bit of horse trading to get a 6mm one years ago but dipped out.

788 is 25.4mm dia, 20tpi and the 700 is 26.67mm, 16tpi. Not really a straight froward job to do. A howa is closer or a tika. I think it would need the threads parting off any 223 barrel re-thread and re chamber.

788 are heavy to lug around. Even on
    222 ( I have one)

Might be quicker and cheaper to grab a howa mini action or have a look around for a 788 in .223 but as others have said the 788 is heavy to carry around.

Well moot point I dallied too long and someone else bought it
    Plan was to have another crack at a lightweight home build stock. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a .223 in the future

Walking my rifle
    I got one in 22 250AI i can sell you, was rebarreled with a 12 twist remington 700 barrel not too long ago. Got dies and brass too. Pm me if keen
    csmiffy likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

A slightly modified savage barrel with its nut could work for a fast rebarrelling although the threaded bit is quite long in the receiver and the recoil lug quite thick.
    ( savage are 1"-20 tpi threads as well).
    I replaced the original lug with a badger lug for remington 700 when I rebarrelled my 788 and it matches the receiver contour very well.