Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Remington in a Spot of Bother

I have several Rem Mod 700 and a Mod 7. The model Seven in 223 needed a new extractor from new but since fix hasn't missed a beat and shots fine. I have a Mod 700 BDL SS in 7 mm Mag I bought in 96 probably never sell it shoots good. Have three 700 SPS models a 22 250, 243, 300 RUM and all are pretty good shooters. Probably get better makes and models but they all do the job.
    My Tikka's would be a bit better accuracy wise and nice to carry around but overall the Rem's are good value for the money. Have a 1100 12 gauge which has had a lot of rounds through it and the only problem with it was a broken extractor, which I managed to fix myself.
    I had my 300 RUM free floated and the action bedded and pillars put in to stop the plastic stock crushing when it is tighten up and that rifle shoots well best group to date was 13 mm at 100 yards, even with a crappy trigger.

Have 3 Remington rifles no issues with any of them, triggers are fine no feeding or extracting issues, guess I'm just lucky.

Bye bye Remington.
    Welcome to Sako club.

As a couple of earlier members posted I'd have a rem 788 in a flash. ex family friend had one in 243 and it was a tack driver. Would love one in 7mm08 but think they were done when they came out so maybe stick to 308.
    I Do have a rem700. Its a 416 Remington magnum. Bought it in 96 or 97. Took a couple of years to get deer ammo sorted (for obvious reasons) so not much shooting.
    Great rifle-1/4 pound lighter than a p/hale 3006 a mate bought at the time.
    Great trigger and smooth action-if you did it right you could tilt the gun at the right angle hold the trigger in, and with a flick at the right time the bolt would close. actually harder to write than do.
    First lot of hand loads I got for it were Barnes 350gr copper x bullets. Fire forming load in 375 h+h cases. I don't reckon they were doing anymore the 2200fps probably less.
    Once we sighted it in, last group had 2 holes overlapping and the 3rd with about 6mm of paper between the edges. C to C of the group was 9/16x5/8.
    A good friend was with me at the same time helping with a brand new Ruger 77 in 22 hornet-they were only just in the country. He loved/loves hornets but it was lucky to do 3 moa with factory ammo when my 416 did well under 1 moa. some more playing needed there
    So trigger, action and barrel on mine was fine but obviously in the early to mid 90's when they still got their shit right.
    I also always had a soft spot for the rem pump action rifles. They did a police version about 10 years ago in 308. I'd have one of them too.

It's likely someone will buy the pieces and keep making their popular models like the 870... Maybe

The 700 will never die, and will live on in aftermarket builds...
    I'm currently building a 700, and it does not have a single Remington part on it... LOL
    Blisters and Paddy79 like this.

Interesting comment earlier on about the Bergara being pretty much a Remington but with good stuff on it. I vaguely remember reading something about Bergara being a clone of something but couldn't remember what. If I ever had a Bergara in my hands I'd have worked it out pretty quickly
    kidmac42 likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Most H/F shops should have one or two for you to fondle.
    They seem a little heavier but that could be just me,stock feels good for the price point and it comes in 6,5 flavours including the x55.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Have 3 Remington rifles no issues with any of them, triggers are fine no feeding or extracting issues, guess I'm just lucky.
    It isn't nice when they go off.
    Safety "on" then to safety "off".

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Safety "on" then they fire when putting safety to "off".

Don't like safeties on any rifle.
    Use them on the auto shottie, and the ruger 10/22, but never really used them on the big rifles. If the bolt was closed I was ready if not half cock or less.
    Mind you don't do much shooting lately and even when I did never saw much so i'll cop that.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    Safety "on" then to safety "off".
    How light did you set the trigger?

Hadn't played with it as it was when I bought it.
    Have got a timney to put on it.
    I use half cock position but thought i would try using the safety and it went off on me.
    This was in the snow damage in the Kaimanawa's and was looking at how quiet and easy it was to do.
    Went off the idea real quick.
    Note no one was at risk when i did it.
    Thought for a while I must have had finger resting on trigger or something as you do not expect this sort of thing to happen.
    There was a doco on 60 minutes? a couple months ago and it was pretty sobering watching that.
    You can watch it on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    there have been a few shot in the states with the safety on .one woman shot a family member when she was cycling the bolt with safety on unloading her rifle at the end of a hunt . .
    ...And that article said she pointed a firearm known to be loaded directly at her son, and it went off killing him... Not saying the Remington trigger was not to blame but FFS she's living with her mistake and stupidity...
    veitnamcam and 6x47 like this.