Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Remington in a Spot of Bother

so if i want another Mod7 I should be buying asap?

Banned
    The Remington Outdoor Company, one of America’s largest firearm and ammunition manufacturers, plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after reaching a deal Monday with its creditors, according to multiple reports.

Company officials said in a news release that a prepackaged reorganization plan will be filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware.
    The deal will give control of the company to its lenders.

Remington seeks to lower its $950 million debt load, Reuters reported.
    The company’s executive chairman, Jim Geisler, said in a statement that "difficult industry conditions make today’s agreement prudent."

The company’s debtors include JPMorgan Asset Management and Franklin Templeton Investments, Reuters reported, who will trade their debt holdings for equity in Remington as part of the deal unveiled today (Monday).

Since a bankruptcy filing under Chapter 11 allows a company to reorganize and stay in business as the company works to repay debtors, officials with Remington said in a news release that the company will continue to operate as normal as the restructuring process gets underway.

Donald Trump is the root problem. If Hilary had been elected the preppers and Rednecks would have been running around like headless chickens buying everything in sight.
    Steve123 likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    I have 2 savage HMR 17,s.....the bolt action,and the semi auto......love the rifles per-say,but the magazines suck,they seem very loose in the mag chamber,and you really have to make sure they are “in” securely.....
    As an aside; Savage are aware of this issue and are working on it. I've probably only sold 4 or 5 of the B17/B22 rifles and have already had one with a mag that just wouldn't feed full stop.

Personally I think the 700 rifle and 870 shotgun were each one of the best options when they first came out. Sure i'd prefer a Mossberg 500 for a pump shotgun, and there are plenty of better options in terms of rifles, but at the time they were solid. A lot of people say that QC from Remington has gone down hill in the last 20 years or so, which is sad. I do like me a model 7.

And sure, people say that H&F stores push Tikka/Sako/Beretta/Benelli because H&F has a strong relationship with Beretta, but you would not believe how many people come in asking for a Tikka by name. My reaction is always "Sure, here, but also what about his Remington model 7; it costs the same?" But nine times out of ten they choose the Tikka, seemingly because it's what everyone else has. For the same money, I'd sooner have the model 7; metal magwell/floorplate/trigger guard, shorter and handier overall, and despite being 6'6", the shorter model 7 just points really nice for me. My advice usually follows this pattern: try to spend as much as you can on the optics (as much as you do on the rifle if you can. Customers look at me like I have three heads), if the remaining budget is $1000 or less, look at a Howa; lifetime warranty and 1 MOA accuracy guarantee for all Howas sold 2017 and onwards. If it's $1500-$1600 I recommend an X-bolt Stainless Stalker, Remington model 7, or Tikka T3X.
    jakewire likes this.

tommygun- in the older days back in the early 90s at least I can assure you that you wouldn't here very often anyone say they'd prefer a 500 over an 870.
    I own a 500 that I got back in about 97 but I'd have much rather a Remington of the same vintage.
    the mossy was drilled and tapped for a scope rail that I thought was awesome as I had an OEG sight I wanted to try and it was cheap enough so it got the nod.
    I was after an 870 or even a BPS with bottom eject (although they are apparently very heavy for a pumpy).
    Mossy has had its issues which an 870 wouldn't have but from what I'm hearing maybe the rem would've had its own.

Remington versus Tikka

Owned two of both, the Remington’s are better for accuracy, I hate American firearms, but I’d rather have a Ford Than a Volkswagen, maybe I need to change my cloth on firearms??
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    tommygun- in the older days back in the early 90s at least I can assure you that you wouldn't here very often anyone say they'd prefer a 500 over an 870.
    I own a 500 that I got back in about 97 but I'd have much rather a Remington of the same vintage.
    the mossy was drilled and tapped for a scope rail that I thought was awesome as I had an OEG sight I wanted to try and it was cheap enough so it got the nod.
    I was after an 870 or even a BPS with bottom eject (although they are apparently very heavy for a pumpy).
    Mossy has had its issues which an 870 wouldn't have but from what I'm hearing maybe the rem would've had its own.

Really? The 500 is lighter, holds one extra shell in any given configuration, the safety is on the tang right where your thumb sits anyway, the slide release tab is to the rear of the trigger guard where your middle finger rests anyway, there is no loading gate/shell lifter to fight when you load it, and no risk of jamming fingers or gloves in said loading gate. For the 870 you have to take your finger off the trigger/out of the trigger guard to either operate the safety, or to release the slide. The only "advantage" that the 870 has is the weight comes from the steel receiver, which is in theory stronger than aluminium, but I figure if people are happy to shoot an AR-15 with an aluminium receiver, with chamber pressure of .223 being, what, 50,000 PSI? Then a shotgun shell at 10,000ish PSI is quite safe. More to the point I've never, ever, heard of a pump shotgun popping a receiver, popping an obstructed barrel open; absolutely, but I've never even heard of a pump shotty having a catastrophic failure of the receiver exploding causing injury.

More to the point I've had thousands of rounds, ranging from light trap to solid slugs through my 500 with zero issues whatsoever. I once had to replace the trigger group pin retaining spring (little 'V' shaped bit of spring steel) as it broke and the pin holding the trigger group became loose, but that's it, and it had quite a bit of use and abuse before I got my mitts on the gun.

I love my Remingtons. Recently restored & rebarreled my dads Model 600 in .243 which is a great little gun. I have used a Stainless M700 in 7mm08 for years which is accurate and just recently bought one of the cheap M700 Stainless ADL ones in .270 from H&F for $999. First group I shot with it with factory ammo was .67" at 100 yards. Good enough for me. I do agree though that their quality has declined over the years. The stainless finish on my new 700 is a much rougher surface, as in they have used a larger blast media, than my older one. This makes it more susceptible to rust (yes even stainless) than the smoother surface of the older one especially when sweat gets on it as I recently found some tiny specs of surface rust on the bolt handle after a weekend hike/hunt. Cleaned it off with a brass brush and it looks good as new but will have to coat it with Eezox to prevent it happening again. I think the higher priced mountain rifles still have the smoother stainless finish. I've always just loved the look of the Remingtons especially that classic bolt handle on the 700/7 and I can't stand the look of the Tikka T3.... Each to their own I guess.

I really do hope Remington sort their shit maybe this will be the wake-up call they need. I feel like if they just got a large group of middle-aged Remington owners into a room and asked them what they think is wrong with the new Remington guns and what they'd like to see change they'd do a lo better than listening to their idiot marketing department and/or accountants. They have been incredibly short-sighted trying to increase profit by cutting cost. They need to add value which will increase demand and in turn increase profits. But shit what do I know haha.

Tommygun-I get where you are coming from about the Mossberg. I have only had a couple of issues with mine-sort of minor but annoying and again the 870's may have problems albeit different.
    Mossberg 500 can take 6 but you can put a mag extension on an 870 if you so desired. Cant on a 500. that's for the later 590 I believe.
    I prefer safeties on the trigger guard just like my old browning A5. I had a Remington auto 243 (that was a piece of crap BTW) and the safety is the same as the rem shotguns. Its a push with the rear of the finger as the gun is shouldered (finger not on the trigger yet).
    Like the old days of getting in the habit of pushing the safety on the SxS which came on every time the action was opened. Lost a few ducks that way when learning.
    The safety on the mossy was quite stiff to the point on the bunny shoot spotlighting and using the safety frequently it wrecked the pad of my thumb.
    The other issue I had was some ammo was quite sticky and would be a right pig to extract.
    The extractors just wouldn't pull them out. One angry day when racking the slide multiple times to get one troublesome case out, the bolt coming back managed to break the two tabs on the front of the trigger group. Shot with this on and off for a few years and would get random hammer falls with no bang-you guessed it the trigger was falling at the front and the hammer wouldn't hit the firing pin consistently.
    I then spent 10 years in Australia and all my firearms were left at a mates.
    I got some of them back and managed to repair the trigger group and lighten the safety properly (actually tried years ago but not as good as id like) as well as get my old A5 up and running again. Back in the day I also ported the barrel and made a open thumbhole stock for the Mossberg-which made it easier to use with the mounted oeg sight and spotlight
    Now I have my 500 reliable its a good thing and my only shotgun good for steel anyway-I'm not getting rid of it. the A5 only good for lead type shooting.
    like I said if I had an 870 it may have had different issues. To each their own.

Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

grunzter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    wonder if they will make quality firearms or try to go the cheap way.
    It hasn't been that great of late. They certainly need to ramp up quality control
    veitnamcam likes this.

“We are excited about the future – producing quality products, serving our customers, and providing good jobs for our employees.”

had a good chuckle at that one.