Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Rifle Builds

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    Lots of people with an edge say that....... Why get the edge in the first instance?
    Why get the Norma?
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

One of my latest projects it was a Rem 700 Titanium 7-08, now its a 7-08 improved.

Terminator Products Cedar stock, Limbsaver recoil pad, light weight firing pin, DPT suppressor.

I have a bit of a build dilemma at the moment. I have a Rem Model 7 in 300SAUM that's basically factory right now and has the 22" barrel on it, I also have a 24" trueflight I bought with the rifle that's been chambered in 300SAUM also, the plan being the have that fluted and screwed into the action and threaded for a brake, and bed it all into a laminate stock. I have also wanted for a while now to try out one of these new Howa Mountain rifles, my idea was to get one in 6.5cm and have it rechambered to 260, or 260ai.
    I also want to buy a 85 Bavarian in 6,5x55, but all these wishes outweigh my available funds.

Soooo.... now im thinking:

Just stick with the factory action/barrel in 300SAUM for now, play around with it for a bit and see if I like the cartridge, with a view to possibly selling it and buying a Rem 700 action and building off that with the trueflight barrel, allowing me to seat projectiles longer and still mag feed etc.

Toss up between buying a Howa Mountain rifle and have it chambered/rebarrelled in 260/260ai or buying a 85 Bavarian, cant afford both unfortunately

Caretaker

Rifle Builds

DPT Suppress the saum and see if it will throw 208 amax

If not then the 178 amax

Job tidy
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    ...my idea was to get one in 6.5cm and have it rechambered to 260, or 260ai...
    Rechambering a 6.5cm to 260 would be pretty pointless wouldn't it? 260AI would get you a bit more velocity I guess.

+1, I m not sure if the standard 260 remington reamer body would clear the wider 6,5 creedmoor front body, you might end up with a ring around the case body of your 260 rounds, If they ever extract!
    The 260 AI reamer should clear the 6,5 creedmoor chamber easily without having to set back the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Rechambering a 6.5cm to 260 would be pretty pointless wouldn't it? 260AI would get you a bit more velocity I guess.
    260 will outperform 6.5cm, every little bit counts, plus I have experience with the cartridge , tonnes of brass, dies, load recipes etc, this thread is about builds, and one of the things about built rifles is having something that's entirely yours and not the same as every other rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    +1, I m not sure if the standard 260 remington reamer body would clear the wider 6,5 creedmoor front body, you might end up with a ring around the case body of your 260 rounds, If they ever extract!
    The 260 AI reamer should clear the 6,5 creedmoor chamber easily without having to set back the barrel.
    Have talked to a gunsmith about this and yes a 260 reamer will just clear a cm chamber

For Mauser action users with scopes fitted a nice modification is the Dakota Arms 3-position M70 style safety. Replaces the rear shroud whilst retaining the same settings as the original with a locked down bolt in the third position.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I dont know but I would hope so.
    Shot the odd deer on foot with the shotgun using buckshot.

Had a mate that did it a lot as well.
    He would stagger load the mag with both buckshot and slugs.
    Works a treat in tight country.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Used these for deer and pigs when I only had a shotgun license, federal worked the best for me.
    Name:  IMG_1001.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  463.0 KB
    This one is from a good pig around 80yds
    Name:  IMG_0955.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  476.0 KB
    7mmsaum, veitnamcam, R93 and 2 others like this.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Have talked to a gunsmith about this and yes a 260 reamer will just clear a cm chamber
    Go for the .260AI I love mine shoots bloody well.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hi Boar freak, take a look at these slugs:
    Balle Flèche Sauvestre for shotgun and rifle

They are made in my home town in France. Very widely used for wild boar shooting in France.
    7mmsaum, Boar Freak and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Hi Boar freak, take a look at these slugs:
    Balle Flèche Sauvestre for shotgun and rifle

They are made in my home town in France. Very widely used for wild boar shooting in France.
    Interesting design, it never made it to our stores. I used to live only a couple of countries away from you.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.