Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fssprecision

Thread: RPR RIMFIRE RAIL SLOTS NOT DEEP ENOUGH

RPR RIMFIRE RAIL SLOTS NOT DEEP ENOUGH

Hi, as the title says im having an issue. Rpr rimfire 22lr, i finally brought decent rings, vortex tactical, and the bar on the rings is too deep for the standard 30moa rail. ie the rail slots are not deep enough so the rings dont sit flat(yes they are wide enough). Iv googled the heck out of it n i cant find anyone with this issue so what am i missing? Or does this happen? Did anyone find a rail that fixes this? Or am i gonna go ham with my Dremel! 😂🥳 cheers.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    I have never heard of this issue, can you post a photo of the rail and the ring, and them mounted together?

I have sorted a few rails with shallow rail slots, stayer was one I remember. Really want to do on a mill to do properly
    AR7 likes this.

Does the bar on the rings come out so you can deal to it directly? It may be the ring is a 'tactical' type designed for deeper rails maybe canted which tend to have the picatinny or 'milspec' type grooves where the rail is a 'Weaver' clone which typically is slimmer and shallower to be lighter. You could try a different type of ring for one option, or if you can get to the recoil bar in the rings you could try to carefully file it down keeping it level just you won't be able to use it in the deeper rails again.

MIL-STD-1913 rail's should all be machined to a within a pretty tight tolerance, and rings designed to fit them should also adhere to the spec.
    When one manufacturer cuts corners, things no longer fit. Without getting out calipers it will be hard to tell who is at fault.

The cross bar on the bottom of the ring is there to act as a recoil lug, and will engage with the vertical parts of the picatinny rail. Taking metal off the bottom of the rings cross bar will not affect how it works. The base of the ring itself is the bearing surface on which the scope ring comes in contact with the rail, and not the cross bar. Provided you take enough metal off the bottom of the ring cross bar, so that it does not touch the bottom of the rail when tightened down, you should be all good.

Yep - the issue possibly could with milspec rail specs vs commercial or sporting spec 'Weaver' rails and the same with rings - commercial Weaver sporting vs milspec. Have struck something similar before like this, but just swapped the rings out to ones that fitted.