Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ruger American rifles

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    @Carpe Diem
    Don't these have the factory adjustable trigger, simply wind the grub screw in or out to adjust?

Sent from my workbench
    Yep they do just remove the stock and adjust really simple, the leaflet on how to do it was in the box

Yes they do but i think he means if you want to go even lighter as standard only reduces to 2.5lb which is a little heavyer than i like but found good enough myself

Hmm I've left mine as "straight out of the box", and love it. I couldn't imagine it any lighter

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Yes they do but i think he means if you want to go even lighter as standard only reduces to 2.5lb which is a little heavyer than i like but found good enough myself
    Yup - they do have the grub screw for this too but Ruger say this will get you to about 3.5 lb in mine it just got me to a little over 4 completely out. I like a light trigger on mine (so its similar to my target .22Lr and 7mm big girl) and more importantly for me I wanted to eliminate the creep I was getting in the pull - so did both at the same time. We err'd on the side of conservatism and went with the 1 turn of the spring off rather than 1.75 which some advocate on the forums. I'm now trying this for the next few months then I'll decide if it needs more. The screw adjust is great because I know I can easily wind some more weight back on.

All comes down to personal preference guys just wanted to let you know what was possible out there - relatively easily..

Dan
    I got an American Rimfire 22 and I can't fault it. Awesome trigger, deadly accurate, surprisingly neat and clean finish. Even the gimmicky interchangeable butt has proven useful
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natatale View Post
    Yep they do just remove the stock and adjust really simple, the leaflet on how to do it was in the box
    Yeah I did both of mine but thought I had missed something our the 30 cals had some thing different haha

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

The problems with the Ruger magzines seems to be hit and miss. Some have no problems and others ? A friend of mine bought one of the Rugers and on his 3rd magazine. The first shell would feed no problems but that was all

what a pain in the ass that would be, thankfully, touch wood, i've not had any issues. i've probably only fired about 60 rounds but i would expect to have had an issue by then if i was going to
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Really good out of the box, and can be tweaked to go even better.

Mines the Ranch in 300 - quite similar to the the Predator.

Things to note for the tweaks. The V blocks are awesome - if you bed using the glue and screw method its very easy and similar to bedding in a AI stock. Ruger recommend 60Ft pound of torque on the action screws or "very firmly with a allen key - in their video" If you glue you can go lighter than this as the small epoxy blobs on the face of the block will absorb and transfer the harmonics rather than the alu to barrel recess being screwed tightly against one another to get a good mating of the surfaces.

If you're worried the fore-end is a bit springy and could be on a bi-pod or held into a position that may touch the barrel its easy to fill this with compound (including the next section under the barrel nut with compound - I used Nathan Fosters Stock stabiliser for less than $30 Now its good...

Trigger - there are good instructions on the likes of rimfire central how to decrease trigger pull weight - mine started at about 6lbs and is now about 2.5 with one turn of spring cut off. they advocate 1.75 - but start small you can't put it back. If you really ruin it you can chuck a Timney in for about $290. But if you have the skills or a friendly gunsmith is a about use the existing.

When I got mine it had creep in it. The sear was .8 and really long so we knocked it back to .3 and its taken 70% of the creep out. We also found it was tool steel so no issues honing and polishing ending up wit ha increasingly gritty trigger like you do with some of the AR chemically hardened sears in their triggers.

Hope this helps - But well worth the investment a $799 dollar gun shoots now like a 2 grand one for $30 and time (of course a wee bit more if you get a gunsmith to do this).
    are you sure its 60ft lb that would probably snap the screws off

Friend got one (a .22 magnum) as a birthday present. Action is horrible and "scratchy" but the trigger is nice

Just watched the video again at Ruger Ruger Videos

Info is almost at the end of the video and they say 75 Inch pounds or as tight as you can hand tighten with a standard Allen wrench sorry I read "Lbs as 'lb's.... bit of a difference but still really tight...