Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: RUGER PRECISION® RIFLE, CALIBER: 308 WIN

RUGER PRECISION® RIFLE, CALIBER: 308 WIN

Can folks give their thoughts on a gun like this as an all-rounder for a first gun.

It can long range (target) shoot, Hunt and has manageable recoil for most. Also want something made well? What range will this target shoot out to? A rifle like this will tick all my boxes?

https://www.ruger.com/products/preci...ets/18028.html

Definitely not a hunting rifle unless you plan to mount it on a turret on your truck/side by side very heavy.

As far as range that's probably more about your ability, people can and do successfully shoot targets at 1000y with 308win.
    WaikatoBushman likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

57JL
    What are you going to use for hunting? if so buy a hunting rifle>target shooting it will be ok

I certainly wouldn't take it hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Definitely not a hunting rifle unless you plan to mount it on a turret on your truck/side by side very heavy.

As far as range that's probably more about your ability, people can and do successfully shoot targets at 1000y with 308win.
    Do you mean it's too heavy? (Sorry for noob question).
    Bagheera and dannyb like this.

I carried my 14 lbs RPR to 1800M tahr hunting following the example of a forumite who hunts almost exclusively with a tube gun (clue - he hunts a lot with the other tough old bloke super hunter on the forum) however I found that I wasn't quite the same sort of man, and only did it once.

There are much better choices for a "cross-over" rifle, for example a Lithgow LA102 is specifically designed for this role. Many people on this forum will preach the gospel for light, lighter and super lightweight rifles but there are a lot of advantages to a crossover weight rifle especially if it's your first centrefire. Obvious ones being its a lot easier to shoot a nicely balanced rifle with a bit of heft, less obvious that very lightweight costs a lot of $, and if you are on a budget and want to shoot at longer ranges putting the saved $$ into a better scope will gain you a lot.

308 is a good choice for a first rifle though!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
    Do you mean it's too heavy? (Sorry for noob question).
    Yes.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Yes.
    not only to heavy but for hunting a lot wrong 1 ) handling - would be a pig to use for fast shots -just not designed to be whipped up to shoulder for fast shots 2) that stock will pick up mud dust twigs etc like a magnet 3) be a bitch of a rifle to carry bush hunting
    57jl, Micky Duck, dannyb and 2 others like this.

You can get away with a heavier rifle hunting but the RPR chassis isn't comfortable for carrying and has so many bits to get caught on your pack and foliage that it would be a nightmare.

For a rifle suitable for target shooting and hunting a Tikka CTR is about perfect, if you end up doing more target shooting than hunting then upgrading the stock/chassis gives you a pretty sweet setup for not too much money.

I'd personally go for 6.5 Creedmoor over 308 as its a far better cartridge for target shooting. I think ammo availability isn't too bad now and should be a lot better going forward than the past 3 years.
    Tentman, tibo and TimC like this.

Thanks folks.

I think I'll stay away from the "all-rounder" and just choose an out and out hunting rifle and buy a long range riles for targets later. I never even though about the rifle getting snagged on this, etc...

Any suggestions on a 308 hunting rifle in the same price range as the RUGER PRECISION® RIFLE, CALIBER: 308 WIN... and with a tactical grip, are welcome.
    Last edited by Eamonn; 21-05-2023 at 11:41 AM.

Oh! Double post. Apologies.

Pretty much take your pick, Sako, Remington, Benelli, Tikka, Howa etc etc your budget will cover a very nice rifle easily, my suggestion is that you come across as quite inexperienced (no Offence everyone has to start somewhere) hold off spending money on something that may or may not work and tell us more about what you intend to be doing ? bush hunting, open tops, river flats etc etc.
    How you use a rifle will dictate what suits you best, just throwing thousands of $ at a rifle won't mean it suits your intended use.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
    Thanks folks.

I think I'll stay away from the "all-rounder" and just choose an out and out hunting rifle and buy a long range riles for targets later. I never even though about the rifle getting snagged on this, etc...

Any suggestions on a 308 hunting rifle in the same price range as the RUGER PRECISION® RIFLE, CALIBER: 308 WIN... and with a tactical grip, are welcome.
    I am going to put my two cents in new winchester all weather in .308 has pre 64 action and extremely well made - best rifle I have seen on market in years leaves a Tikka for dead and sako a bit over priced
    erniec and Micky Duck like this.

The one time I handled a Ruger Precision Rifle, I cycled the bolt and all I could hear was machining rattle in the sound of a zip as I ran the bolt forward. To me for that money, you shouldn’t get that. It shot well, but overall I wasn’t impressed. Jumped back down behind my Tikka, much better. Two completely different platforms obviously but worlds different.

To the OP, id suggest get a howa or a tikka for hunting and throw it in a chassis for target if you really want that vertical grip. An oryx chassis will suffice

"quite inexperienced"... totally inexperienced, hehe.

As regards to what type of hunting rifle. "Bush hunting, open tops, river flats". I live in Central Otago but maybe an all-round hunting rifle would be best. Then after a few years of experience I can start to get rifles for different terrain.