Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Ruger Ranch II Bolt face - do I have a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post

When you say Murom SP I hope the SP doesn't mean small pistol?

You also aren't clear whether it was from the Trailboss load or the 3031 load.
    Yes typo there, should say small rifle, and it was the 3031 load

Also I realize in my panic looking at the bolt I mis-stated the 3031 load. They are actually 69gn pills at the published max of 22.5gn. I don't have my notebook with me and looked up the load data for 62gn to check.

Having said that, this load was the one I settled on after a chronoed ladder test at 50m during which I carefly examined each case as shot. No issues were noted. Bolt lift was and is normal etc etc.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    That would not bother me ,so it's rough looking ain't going to come to much

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    So you're saying stop looking at it and keep shooting? I like that idea lol
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

I've had a .22-250 Weatherby do the same thing. Was using federal brass and Winchester primers, happened with light normal and hot loads and the primer pockets all felt perfectly fine.

Ended up switching to Norma brass and the problem went away. Bolt head is etched from it but there doesn't appear to be any ongoing problems using it as is.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.22-250 View Post
    I've had a .22-250 Weatherby do the same thing. Was using federal brass and Winchester primers, happened with light normal and hot loads and the primer pockets all felt perfectly fine.

Ended up switching to Norma brass and the problem went away. Bolt head is etched from it but there doesn't appear to be any ongoing problems using it as is.
    Was there evidence of gas leak like blackening of the case head and bolt face? This is what has me stumped.. I concede I'm not perfect and on the face of it there has been primer failure and gas etching I simply have not noticed...fuckit! So I'm keen to understand what someone else was seeing re their case heads when it was happening to them..

Jhon, the damage to the bolt is minor and should not pose any issues. The rifle still shoot and groups well enough, keep shooting it and forget about the flame cutting on the bolt face.

The cutting should clean up nicely within 0.1 to 0.15mm - just moving your head space out of spec - If you've got the gauges you could set the barrel back a bit and thats it.

If it was me, I'd shoot it until the rainy season and then send it off for repairs - if I feel like it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Goosen View Post
    Jhon, the damage to the bolt is minor and should not pose any issues. The rifle still shoot and groups well enough, keep shooting it and forget about the flame cutting on the bolt face.

The cutting should clean up nicely within 0.1 to 0.15mm - just moving your head space out of spec - If you've got the gauges you could set the barrel back a bit and thats it.

If it was me, I'd shoot it until the rainy season and then send it off for repairs - if I feel like it.
    Great, thanks! That's what I needed to know.
    Jaco Goosen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Here's a comparison with my 7.62x39, had shot 100's reloads, china milsurp and factory ammo.

Attachment 182588

Just got to admire that workmanship

I have had a whole box of federal blue box ammo etch a bolt face in 7-08 before I noticed the primers where leaking.
    The gravel they used to finish that one was of a significantly smaller grade.

The bolt face damage is totally due to gas cutting by primer leakage. The bolt face could be repaired by careful TIG welding, doing just a small area at a time to avoid over-heating the bolt and drawing the temper, then machined out by a careful machinist to match the faces and leaving the correct headspace. Not job for the semi-skilled gunsmith but one who is fully skilled. The alternative is a new bolt body which may well be impossible to obtain without sending the rifle back to the factory. Ditch all your brass and start afresh with quality components.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    The bolt face damage is totally due to gas cutting by primer leakage. The bolt face could be repaired by careful TIG welding, doing just a small area at a time to avoid over-heating the bolt and drawing the temper, then machined out by a careful machinist to match the faces and leaving the correct headspace. Not job for the semi-skilled gunsmith but one who is fully skilled. The alternative is a new bolt body which may well be impossible to obtain without sending the rifle back to the factory. Ditch all your brass and start afresh with quality components.
    thanks, I think....

It looks to me for all the world like rippled weld marks. But I am not familiar with has cutting of bolt faces.

Caretaker
    100% gas etching by leaking primers
    Jhon likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Mark MacFarlane from Desert Guns fixed this bolt-face etching on my Rem Model 7. Couple hundred bucks and job done. Would have no hesitation recommending his work.

Name:  Rem M7 Bolt Face.jpeg
Views: 141
Size:  956.6 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    Mark MacFarlane from Desert Guns fixed this bolt-face etching on my Rem Model 7. Couple hundred bucks and job done. Would have no hesitation recommending his work.

Attachment 182626
    Ok that's really helpful. That's is convincing me about the etching happening as the photo shows almost identical damage.

Did you get it fixed because it was affecting functioning? or because you couldn't stand looking at it lol?

There appears in both your and my instances that there is sufficient undamaged bolt face immediately around the firing pin to support the primers. So the gas is clearly leaking like my example from around the edge of the primer against the case head.

Also, what was the cause for you and remedy? Bad primers? Bad or worn brass? Incorrect headspacing?

Others please weigh in here if you have similar experience. Photos would be good.

My brass that shows no sign of gas leak is FC (Federal headstamp) marked 223. It has had probably 3-4 firings.

The one that has the pin hole is a random Winchester headstamp I was unaware was in the mix. Clearly past it's used by date. i guess I will be sorting my brass thoroughly. Given it is a hunting rather than a benchrest rifle, and used to do a bit of plinking, I have not fussed about brass other than checking for obvious defects. Looks like I have to check harder.

What I plan to do is reload some of the 49 brass I have at hand, this time with WSR primers and two different powders, AR2206H and Benchmark 2, at 1 gn under max charge. I'll colour the bolt face in with felt pen and check each time for new gas cutting. I'll keep going with this until I am confident I have found the culprit issue. I do not see the point in fixing the bolt face just to have it happen again.

And as some have pointed out, if I can stop it happening now, and there are no issues or impacts on the gun shooting, the only reason to fix it is pride. Which may be enough in the end. I'm just glad its not $4k rifle !
    Last edited by Jhon; 02-11-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Another thing that can cause it is scratching the primer pocket when decrimping or cleaning I had that happen with a 2nd hand lot of Lapa 308 brass picked up.
    5 blew out of 30 but none of my mixed lot ppu, winchester or federals did all primed with the same cci primers. Like you I didn't notice till later. Didn't worry about the bolt face though not after having seen some nra target rifles.
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Another thing that can cause it is scratching the primer pocket when decrimping or cleaning I had that happen with a 2nd hand lot of Lapa 308 brass picked up.
    5 blew out of 30 but none of my mixed lot ppu, winchester or federals did all primed with the same cci primers. Like you I didn't notice till later. Didn't worry about the bolt face though not after having seen some nra target rifles.
    The plot thickens. Has anyone found the same thing after swaging primer pockets?