Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Run In / Burn In Process

  1. #1
    Member Johnboy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Auckland
    Posts
    70

    Run In / Burn In Process

    What's the general view on how to run in a new gun, I have previously gone with the 5 rounds then clean allowing time to cool etc. between rounds and rwpeating for the first 50 or more rounds.

    I have seen others run a slower process again with the first five rounds being fire clean fire clean before moving onto the above, also with various mentions of using a soft bruss down the barrel and a drill to remove any burrs (that one terrifies me)

    And does this process change for an AR to a bolt action assuming both factory new.

  2. #2
    Member Timmay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    CNI
    Posts
    2,411
    I take a packet or two of ammo to the range and just blast away.
    Never had any issues.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    671
    Grant from Ballingers HF (who is probably one of the best gun store guys around) recommends 1 shot clean, 2 shot clean 3 shot clean. Has worked for me.

  4. #4
    I hate tacticool Konev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Queenstown
    Posts
    989
    dont do shit. just go and shoot the damn thing.
    madjon_ and Ryan like this.

  5. #5
    Member Johnboy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Auckland
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    Grant from Ballingers HF (who is probably one of the best gun store guys around) recommends 1 shot clean, 2 shot clean 3 shot clean. Has worked for me.
    Up to how many before normal use, just 5 and then 5 shot groups?

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Your town
    Posts
    623
    As others have said, just shoot the damn thing and clean it when you have finished. Running it in with 1 shot, clean, 2 shots, clean etc wont make an ounce of difference.

  7. #7
    Member Johnboy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Auckland
    Posts
    70
    Not sure why I am concerned as the rifle I am about to run in is a new NEA AR and the barrel has a life time warranty, my understanding feom the claims is that doing it properly can improve the accuracy???

    Unsure how, I understand that it takes rounds to clear away the imperfections in the machining and because of those of those imperfections a new barrel is prone to catch corrosive materials and debris until smoothed and its the cleaning part of the process that just prevents any of that build up damaging the surface.

    I did 3-5 shot groups before cleaning on my remington 700 but the manner in which that is shot aids that, was a long winded approach continuing that to 50 rounds though and took a good part of an afternoon.... Accuracy did improve to sub MOA (still to concentrate on grouping vs burning in) and alot more crap came out in the cleaning process than with a "used" gun when you consider it was cleaned 10 times on the day and add that up.

    There seems to be merit but is it more about you wasting 50 rounds of ammo and 50 rounds of the life of the barrel so you have to buy more lol

  8. #8
    Member graeme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lower Hutt
    Posts
    100
    I think if it is a quality barrel like a Kreiger, Bartlin etc. its worth following their run in recommendations. For a standard barrel it might not matter.

  9. #9
    Member Johnboy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Auckland
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    I think if it is a quality barrel like a Kreiger, Bartlin etc. its worth following their run in recommendations. For a standard barrel it might not matter.
    I think thats a fair call, it is probably fair to say if it shoots like shit its probably not the gun or the fact that I didn't do it.... its probably me.


    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  10. #10
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,757
    With an AR I generally, got to range, insert mag, shoot lots then go home and clean it. More important to use a bore guide when cleaning I think.

  11. #11
    Member Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Cape
    Posts
    4,093
    Just shoot it
    Timmay likes this.

  12. #12
    Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    6,083
    Huck the barrel with JBs before shooting it and then shoot the shot out of it
    Removing the machining marks while they are clean and soft is a lot easier and faster than using fire and a softer metal to do so

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    northland
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy007 View Post
    Not sure why I am concerned as the rifle I am about to run in is a new NEA AR and the barrel has a life time warranty, my understanding feom the claims is that doing it properly can improve the accuracy???

    Unsure how, I understand that it takes rounds to clear away the imperfections in the machining and because of those of those imperfections a new barrel is prone to catch corrosive materials and debris until smoothed and its the cleaning part of the process that just prevents any of that build up damaging the surface.

    I did 3-5 shot groups before cleaning on my remington 700 but the manner in which that is shot aids that, was a long winded approach continuing that to 50 rounds though and took a good part of an afternoon.... Accuracy did improve to sub MOA (still to concentrate on grouping vs burning in) and alot more crap came out in the cleaning process than with a "used" gun when you consider it was cleaned 10 times on the day and add that up.

    There seems to be merit but is it more about you wasting 50 rounds of ammo and 50 rounds of the life of the barrel so you have to buy more lol
    http://www.neaginc.com/uploads/1/4/8...anual_v1.1.pdf
    This is the official breakin procedure from NEA, I just used a bore snake with hoppes every five rounds or so while adjusting the scope.

  14. #14
    Member Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Cape
    Posts
    4,093
    NEA barrels are nitrided. You' re gonna go broke before you put a dent in any imperfections. Just shoot it. Seriously I've never done this voodoo to any rifle I've ever owned, and the only only one that shot like shit was a piece of shit anyway.

  15. #15
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Huck the barrel with JBs before shooting it and then shoot the shot out of it
    Removing the machining marks while they are clean and soft is a lot easier and faster than using fire and a softer metal to do so
    I use Autosol first before firing a shot and then again after but didn't want to mention it cause I didn't want to get flamed!!!

    I was always told of you do this DO NOT let the patch covered in polish exit the muzzle, no explanation given,

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Dingle Burn
    By dunel442 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 28-10-2012, 08:03 PM
  2. E-Cat process.
    By Burb122 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 09:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!