Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rust - What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Hey Nick, how long have you had your tikka? I bought a t3 in March and I have a couple of spots of rust that have been showing up recently.
    It's stainless but still wonder if something is wrong with the finish.
    I've had it about 8 months. Its a stainless varmint model. Was told to get stainless but bugger me this thing is hard work.

Going to buy a lockdown dehumidifier tomorrow and fingers crossed it will fix the issue.

Give this a read it's a pretty good and in depth comparison of gun lubricants

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread...-care-products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I've been using Frog Lube for over a year now and have yet to find one spec of rust on any of my firearms. It's an excellent product.

After reading Nathan Foster guide on gun maintenance, I use CRC metal sealer on the outside surface of my guns after a good clean and CRC long life on the inside of the tube. On the outside , you can also use CRC Lanacoat for longer time storage, you will never see rust grow on it.

Another thing I believe, is that the aluminium from rings, mounts and scope must have a reaction with the steel of the rifle and make it rust more easily.
    Carpe Diem and JRW87 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by southernredneck View Post
    Give this a read it's a pretty good and in depth comparison of gun lubricants

Review/comparison of gun care products | Ron's outdoor blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One of the best tests around.
    I used to swear by Eezox....
    +1 for Froglube now

For inside the gun safe the only way to go is a heater (light bulb, tube heater etc).
    I purchased a few of the cheap M10 dehumidifyers and a Remington one and they are close to useless, they just don't have the capacity to absorb bugger all and change colour with days and you are forever recharging them.
    I have a tube heater on a thermostat in my safe and it maintains the inside temp above dew point and no longer do I get any rust signs. The first signs used to be a whitish mould starting on the wood work of my older guns before any signs of metal corrosion. All good now.
    Last edited by zimmer; 29-06-2015 at 09:23 AM.

I bought a couple of bore socks, no rust.

Protective Gun Cases Silicone Treated - Bore Stores

I use several of the mitre 10 rechargeable dehumidifiers. These are basically the same as the Remington ones but a fraction of the price
    It sounds like you have a humidity problem which compounded with the use of innox won't Hellas it's a very "light" oil and is not meant for firearm storage
    I make up "eds red" and add some lanolin for extra rust protection.
    Not only is it a good carbon remover it also proves to be excellent for long term storage when you add some lanolin
    My recipes is
    1 part ATF dextron3 automatic transmission fluid
    1 part low odour kerosene
    1 part turps

You can also add acetone but it eats plastic and varnish so I leave it out
    For long term preservative add lanox or lanolin as required

The other long term preservative if you can't stop the rusting would be "barricade" or lee Allox bullet lube diluted with mineral turps as Allox is basically cosmoline as used by the military for rust prevention. However you would need to wipe it off before use using turps or thinners

Good luck combating the moisture!
    Tommy likes this.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Went and purchased a LockDown tube heater this morning and have installed(amazing how hot it gets). I have also sealed the safe door a lot better with foam so the heat stays in there. Fingers crossed this is the answer............ I will report back in a few weeks with the results.

Cheers!

Glu
    I started putting all my firearms in my safe in VCI bags about 5 years ago and also use VCI Emmitters in my safe . No rust and VCI protection last about 1-2 years . Real easy just clean my firearms as normal Lightly oil with KG4 then into the bags with a reusable tie to seal it . If I am going hunting for a few days I leave my rifle in the VCI bag in my gun bag or case .

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Glu View Post
    I started putting all my firearms in my safe in VCI bags about 5 years ago and also use VCI Emmitters in my safe . No rust and VCI protection last about 1-2 years . Real easy just clean my firearms as normal Lightly oil with KG4 then into the bags with a reusable tie to seal it . If I am going hunting for a few days I leave my rifle in the VCI bag in my gun bag or case .
    Any recommendations on where to buy the bags and emitters?
    Using Tapatalk

BREAK FREE has always worked for me no matter where or how cold my rifles have got. did poke extention lead through vent into cabinet and hung a 15wt light in there for a time till bulb blew, it kept them warmer but didn't notice any difference to how well they stayed rust free.

I remember talking to the Inox general manager when he came over from Aussie to visit our supply depot. I remember him saying that they had an issue with Inox and emulsifying cutting oil and rust. People were hosing down lathe chucks and tools with Inox and getting rust on the sprayed gear. I wonder if its reacting with any left over oil in the metal? Sorry but I cant remember exactly what he said as it was 11 years ago now but it was an oddball that had them stumped for a while. If you email them they may be able to tell tou what might be the issue.

Yep, here it is in their website. INOX-MX3 for Engineering - Inox Lubricants

Possibility?

Your not using steel wool to remove rust are you? That can inbed itself into the satin finish of some stainless steels.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...t.php?p=376859
    Frank can hook you up with so,e good oil.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds