Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Sako A1 Open Sights?

A query for all you Sako gurus out there: did the A1 (222 Rem cal) come from the factory with open sights? My A1 and the other well preserved ones I have seen (likely ex NZ Police issue) have no open sights. Which is interesting as it’s predecessor the L461 is typically found with open sights I think. I’m wondering if open sights were by special order only for the A1, at least in NZ?

From the large amount of Sako L461 & A1 I have had, you will find all sorts of open sights set ups, most of the NZ Police Sakos had open sights from the ones I had & a few which were from the US (Stoeger engraved on them) & I believe were for the AOS had clean barrels, this could be a hold over from the days of bad parallax in scopes & only the rifle issued to a officer & sighted in by him was scoped & the ones in the armoury rack that could be drawn on had open sights as all would shoot the same ?

There are two types of open sights found on Sako's either the Express/open sights where both front and rear sights are barrel mounted or an aperture rear which mounts to the rear bridge on the Sako dovetails. I would sugguest trying to source the latter if you only have a blade mounted to the barrel.

I did a wee writeup on the L461 with the aperture rear, here: https://sakocollectors.com/forum/thr...-has-it.16426/

Mine had open sights till it was rebarreled

I went totally old school on my A1 for a bit before I sold it. Really nice to carry without a scope.