Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: SAKO VIXEN L461 for sale

Bos
    Sarvo makes some good points. I know of a few around the country where the owners dont hunt with them, but like to boast about owning a SAKO VIXEN - its just bull shit.
    Like I've said, they are a beautiful rifle in the sense that they are well balanced, well engineered, and made for purpose,ie a short action for a small cartridge. Given their age I reackon there current price tag is about right but they should never be "Safe Queens".
    Look after them (better than the missus), but get them out on the hill each week and kill shit like I do.
    tetawa, johnd and Frodo like this.

No I was taking the piss, it's a stunner.....to nice and pretty to use.
    Well done to new owner.
    Sarvo likes this.

MSL
    If something’s too pretty to use, what’s it good for? Who are we saving them for?
    BRADS and Max Headroom like this.

I'll be chucking a McMillan stock on the Sako as she'll be used as a workhorse in the bush, and unlike an oiled finish, lacquer is a bit harder to fix up. But the wood stock will be used on the range and for small game. So no safe queens.

As for rust - 5 minutes at the end of each hunting day will prevent that.

If I could afford an H&H or Rigby I'd still take it out hunting. That's what guns are meant for. Unless it's something super rare which should be kept in a museum collection.
    Sarvo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Sarvo makes some good points. I know of a few around the country where the owners dont hunt with them, but like to boast about owning a SAKO VIXEN - its just bull shit.
    Like I've said, they are a beautiful rifle in the sense that they are well balanced, well engineered, and made for purpose,ie a short action for a small cartridge. Given their age I reackon there current price tag is about right but they should never be "Safe Queens".
    Look after them (better than the missus), but get them out on the hill each week and kill shit like I do.
    Absolutely! Here's mine with a stinkie in the King Country rain.

Name:  Rain, hail or shine.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  803.5 KB

Wife's hairdryer does the trick at the end of the day.
    tanqueray likes this.

Well its just stuff at the end of the day and I agree they should be used , I have had and used BSA Hunters and Majestics but in .222 the vixen wins for the 60's to 70' era rifles IMHO ....this is the only rifle I have ever owned that I never even fired ....i did give it a rub from time to time though...

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Absolutely! Here's mine with a stinkie in the King Country rain.

Attachment 112804

Wife's hairdryer does the trick at the end of the day.
    I was telling @Frodo that a farmer mate in King Country used on on Pigs - even amazed him how effective it was - all paddock shots though
    I used his on Goats too - something about a light pill - physiologically makes one try a little harder with shot placement

I also use our Diesel heater (blows hot air) for drying down rifles especially this time of year
    All rifles will rust - even the SS ones
    The old Lee Enfield with a Green like Bluing - was prob the most resilient to to the elements if time or situation did not allow care/maintenance
    But as said above a few mins with a oil patch does the job - no excuses really
    bing likes this.

Can the 222 be Sub ???
    If yes - be interested to hear loads-pills used etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Can the 222 be Sub ???
    If yes - be interested to hear loads-pills used etc
    Did play around with them years ago using the 22 magnum projectiles which Reloaders Supplies used to sell in bulk 500 projectile packs, can't remember the loads but will try and find my old reloading notes.
    Sarvo likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I'll be chucking a McMillan stock on the Sako as she'll be used as a workhorse in the bush, and unlike an oiled finish, lacquer is a bit harder to fix up. But the wood stock will be used on the range and for small game. So no safe queens.

As for rust - 5 minutes at the end of each hunting day will prevent that.

If I could afford an H&H or Rigby I'd still take it out hunting. That's what guns are meant for. Unless it's something super rare which should be kept in a museum collection.
    So brutal.... I've got an old beat up stock I'll swap with ya AJ

Would any of you who own Vixens be keen on the stock, seeing as it's in mint condition? I'll have the rifle in my possession in a few weeks from now.

I've got a McMillan stock on the way as I'll be using the rifle as a work-horse.

PM me if you'd be interested.