Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Sales through the register

Sales through the register

Admin - Sorry not sure exactly where to put this so feel free to move it if there is a better place for registry chat.

Heads up on selling items via the gun register.... Just been on the phone to the team and found out if you sell a firearm and go through the mail order permit process it is still up to the receiving person to go through and change the rifle into their name. I have sold 2 in the last few months and one was marked as pending on my side because the person that processed the mail order form did their job right, the other one had not been recorded at all even though I had been sent a copy of the approved mail order form. Both of those rifles are technically still under my license even though the police have been told through the correct channels that they have been sold and given the buyers details.

Until the buyers accept them onto their login they will stay on yours, and it doesn't seem to be clear who is responsible for making the buyers do it, the nice lady on the phone even suggested that I should email the buyers myself. Both transfers are already over the 30 day limit.
    Micky Duck, TianBotha, RV1 and 1 others like this.

As a dealer as far as I know its easy, I just fill out the form on line, then TTP contact the buyer & Aunty Bob they are on the register & required to register all their firearms

Strange it would be any different for a private individual doing the same.....why should you have to contact the buyer ???

STC
    Nice.

So imagine somebody would do something stupid with those guns...

I think people really want to think twice who they're selling their firearms to...
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    As a dealer as far as I know its easy, I just fill out the form on line, then TTP contact the buyer & Aunty Bob they are on the register & required to register all their firearms

Strange it would be any different for a private individual doing the same.....why should you have to contact the buyer ???
    Have you gone back in to see if everything you have sold has come off your list yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    Have you gone back in to see if everything you have sold has come off your list yet?
    I don't have a list, dealer stock is exempt for a year or two ish

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Nice.

I think people really want to think twice who they're selling their firearms to...
    The register is going to stop that
    norsk, RV1 and TimC like this.

This has been one of my thoughts, if the purchaser doesnt do their part then what? Same with cars some people end up buying a car and not putting it in their name... hope this shit doesnt bite you in the arse as you were doing the proper thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

so in both those cases...the "Aunty Bob's" could in effect revoke FAL for non compliance.......... watch this space methinks!!!
    BRADS and Ranger 888 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Nice.

I’d be worried if the name was Tarrant, but after that it’s the police that issue the FAL and as long as I see it, it ain’t my problem?
    I might make an exception if is was a gang member……. No I wouldn’t the police have got this, I hope
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

What happens if it's not an online-based sale and you only have the manual contact details or they don't reply to your email? I don't see anything in the registration rules that compels you to make sure someone else does their end of it right, once you have notified the registry peoples that you've sold it and its no longer in your lawful ownership and possession it should come off your ticket - period (capital full stop).

This is the issue with the registry people being seemingly only concerned with 'possession' rather than both possession and lawful ownership, as has been noted in the real world things aren't always so black and white as they try to make us believe (shared safe between family members etc etc).
    RV1 likes this.

Going to have a register of guns that dissapeared

No.3 thats double edged sword....say you have GrandDads shotgun .22 and .303 he is past using them but still alive n kicking.. you have possession of them,technically he owns them still but what use AT ALL would it be having them on his ticket???
    far better to be on yours,you after all are person looking after them...
    back to topic... if you have on sold item....and notify police/register people of such...DO YOU NOTIFY AS TO WHO AND LICENCE NUMBER ????
    that right there is a huge bit.....
    and as said earlier watch this space,because if they fail to register within 30 days they have breached conditions and are liable for revocation...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

They will be nudging us towards the aussie system. Oh well people arent registering when they sell privatley so now all sales have to go through a dealer which is fine in theory but ad we all know its still not going to stop crims getting guns...
    Bol Tackshin and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    This has been one of my thoughts, if the purchaser doesnt do their part then what? Same with cars some people end up buying a car and not putting it in their name... hope this shit doesnt bite you in the arse as you were doing the proper thing.
    My experience says it has no effect on the seller but they come after the buyer if you don't do your part

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Greg and dannyb like this.

I would be keeping a paper trail of any permits/buyers details sale date etc to cover myself if things don't go as planned as it will up to the last "registered owner" in the fsa system to prove that they did with the firearm.
    STC likes this.