Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Scope Rings - Naive QUestion

The extra low in 30mm works fine with the 30mm VX5 2-10x42 on a Tikka T3x so would work okay on the 30mm VX3i 4.5-14x42 and give you an even lower cheek weld.
    Stocky, dannyb and Edunn like this.
    "The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the .257 Bob. I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal

Depending on the stock and the position of your check bones and eye relief, going too low might result in a lot more felt recoil and a crappy shooting position that leaves you feeling like you are hunching over the stock especially if you shoot from different holds or positions.

Something to try and be aware of - if it's a new rifle scope combo I haven't played with before I'll get a set of rings from a local dealer on a try/exchange basis if they aren't right on the stock - or get them to set it up and try it. Surprising how much difference a small height change can make to your comfort and repeatability of fit when shooting - it's not just about fit of the scope.

Large objective (50mm+) scopes sit a little higher eye line wise, and often these are more confortable for me than a compact 30mm scope on extra low rings with a high-comb stock. A lower comb stock that has more drop below barrel centerline could be fine though.