Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Screwdriver advice

Wiha (made in Germany) will not have JIS markings but correct for Japanese made.
    Beaker likes this.

$106 from Bunnings

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    If going to an electrical wholesaler take lots of dosh. The set below runs between $130 and $154 depending upon you relationship with the wholesaler. You won't get much variety with your 6 piece set.
    Attachment 182766
    $106 from Bunnings

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    $106 from Bunnings
    Yeah, you've got to watch the electrical "wholesalers". I even shop around for electrical fittings b4 I buy stuff on my Cory's account.

$106 is still dear for a very small selection of screwdrivers. I wouldn't be going that way myself if I was re-equipping again.

I went the other way and purchased, over a long period of time, a large selection of just 1/4" drive tips. Mine are all made in Taiwan and of very good quality.
    These included flats, phillips, PZ, square and hex, and some security tips.
    Even some of the cheaper 1/4" drive sets sold at the likes of Bunnings and M10 have reasonable quality tips.

1/4" bits are what fit my torque wrench at any rate.

I also bought spares and don't have any hesitation in hollow grounding a bit to perfectly fit a screwhead. There's always that temptation to rush things and not bother getting a perfect fit, nek minnit, graunch. Nothing looks worse that a munted screw head.

I have also changed some of the action screws on my rifles from slotted to allen head screws. Yeah, doesn't always made the purist happy, but much easier to work with and no slips and graunch marks.
    Last edited by zimmer; 04-11-2021 at 04:32 PM.
    Hutch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    On that, look for the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) markings... most of the crap out of china is just that: crap. And "philips" or "flat" are a loose descriptor.
    But in theory all fasteners should be specd to JIS Good screwdrivers will fit that.
    Like this
    Name:  20211104_163958.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  3.07 MB
    Cordite likes this.

Get screwdrivers with longer shafts. These are more precise to use and more powerful because easier to keep on centre with the screw.

And don't be lazy, take your time to pick the right driver for a screw.
    keneff and Hutch like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I get my wiha and various other bits and pieces from https://www.screwfix.com/

my full wiha set was 14.99 on special. Have a look there and see how much we get ripped off here....

I get mum to buy it back home and post it over, even then it's a fraction of the NZ price.

I have a full Brownells set that was presented to me by Bob Brownell when I visited in the mid '80's. I have broken a few bits as they are quite brittle when ground to suit the narrow slots on English shotguns, but I have never had the gall to ask for replacements on a gift! Any good quality drivers from respectable makers are fine. Take care when hollow grinding to not overheat the tip (changing colour) and quench frequently.
    planenutz, Hutch and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    I'm picking spambot...
    Yep, the language gives it away.

I have some Wiha screw drivers that I acquired in a past life. The flatheads have a very solid blade. I also have a FAT wrench and a set of torx bits to fit it, this covers most bases fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Haven't broken any yet...
    I got a Wheeler set about 10 years ago, do gun work nearly every day and have have just had one tip break on a really stubborn screw....Great set if you use them properly.
    Hutch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fssprecision View Post
    I got a Wheeler set about 10 years ago, do gun work nearly every day and have have just had one tip break on a really stubborn screw....Great set if you use them properly.
    Thanks that's the type of feedback I was after.

Posters here have given a wide range of excellent advice on some good options and without doubt there are some excellent products out there. I'm going the other direction:

Don't buy Snap-On or Blue-point screwdrivers or tips. They're shit.

Don't get me wrong, their magnetic screwdrivers and ratcheting screwdrivers that take 1/4 inch tips are outstanding and I have a couple which have given years of outstanding service, but the replaceable tips themselves are crap. Likewise their "fixed" screwdrivers are also shit and wear out waaaaay too fast. Best of all (!) you pay top dollar for them. I can't tell you how many tips I've broken or worn out. As a result I can tell you just about any tips except those made by Snap-On will give great service.

This is not a Snap-On bashing post... I love their gear and I have far too much of it, its just a statement regarding their screwdrivers. They're generally shit.